Suggestions for small space gas heat Lopi vs. Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 8, 2024
MN
Hi! Thanks for any help you can give me! I currently heat my home with a natural gas furnace or a lopi 1750i insert. However, I have an addition that did not get heat put in it, sadly and unfortunately. I have been using electric, but it has been so expensive, not to mention unsafe feeling. When the addition went in, I did put a gas hose in the wall in the event I would be able to put a fireplace in someday. The space that it would go into is approximately 240 or so square feet. It is a bedroom and bathroom. This space has no windows facing the sun so it gets quite chilly. The stove would be placed in a corner near a sliding glass door, with a smaller and larger window in the space as well ( both economy quality). I live in northern Minnesota. I have narrowed it down to the Jotul 200 dv II lillehammer, or the Lopi Northfield bay window unit. I know the Northfield Bay window unit is more expensive than the millivent unit, but it has the capability of turning off the rear burner and cutting the BTU' down to 6700, whereas the Jotul has a minimum BTU of 11,400. The Lopi would end up costing a significant amount more. I would save up and choose it if the lower BTU was necessary for the space. What do you think regarding these two units and if one is a definitely better option over the other? Or any other things I should consider? I want it to be appropriate for the space and not kick on and off too much. Any thoughts? Thank you so much in advance!

I’d size the stove to the room’s heat loss. 6700btu is a lot of heat in such a small area.

You stated you didn’t want it to kick on or off too much. Only you can answer how much is too much.

Figure how much heat your room needs at say 30F and work off that number as a low rating for the stove. Below 30 you’ll be able to dial in the stove to always be on.

You may find it’s easier to blow cold air from the room into the warm air of the rest of the house with a fan. Air sealing and insulation could also be upgraded so you need less heat.

If you put your gas stove on a thermostat, I think you will be just fine. Your home is in a state that gets pretty cold in the winter months, & bigger might be better. I would assume your addition has 2x6 framing & at least R21 insulation in the walls. If you turn that Jotul down to minimum, it will burn longer to keep the thermostat satisfied, & it will not turn on & off as often as it would at a higher setting.

You stated you didn’t want it to kick on or off too much. Only you can answer how much is too much.

Figure how much heat your room needs at say 30F and work off that number as a low rating for the stove. Below 30 you’ll be able to dial in the stove to always be on.

You may find it’s easier to blow cold air from the room into the warm air of the rest of the house with a fan. Air sealing and insulation could also be upgraded so you need less heat.
I'm not quite sure how to calculate heat consumption. I did try to use a small fan to push warm air into the space, but it wasn't enough.

If you put your gas stove on a thermostat, I think you will be just fine. Your home is in a state that gets pretty cold in the winter months, & bigger might be better. I would assume your addition has 2x6 framing & at least R21 insulation in the walls. If you turn that Jotul down to minimum, it will burn longer to keep the thermostat satisfied, & it will not turn on & off as often as it would at a higher setting.
So you think the Jotul would be an ok size? I'm sure the insulation isn't anything beyond the lowest acceptable. Would the lower btu's of the Lopi make a significant difference? Would you say the price difference of gas vs. electric to be well worth it?
Is there a different stove option out there that I should be considering?
Thanks for your help.

Pushing the cold room air into the warm house is usually more effective at forming a thermal loop.

Here’s a simple Manual J calculator.