Gas stove "back up" parts suggestions wanted.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stephen000

Feb 20, 2009
Hello. I have a Jotul Sebago natural gas stove which I'm very happy with. I've had it for a little over 12 years and it's working fine now, except for occasional problem with remote which i plan fixing by getting a new remote and receiver box setup. I want to get any parts that could wear out in the reasonable future in case the parts would become "no longer available".

I'm in the process of getting a new pilot assembly and possibly a gas control valve assembly. Are there any other parts that could wear out over a reasonable time period, say 10 years?

The reason I'm doing this is because I stayed at a lodge in Oregon that had a nice gas stove in the lobby. I asked the owner why he never had it burning and he said he was told the repair parts were no longer available. So, I'm just trying to avoid this myself.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Steve

12 years is a long time on a burner in that harsh environment. Might want to pull it & inspect it. Also, once the ceramic fiber logs a start to deteriorate, they will need to be replaced as well.

Reactions: 49er
Hello. I have a Jotul Sebago natural gas stove which I'm very happy with. I've had it for a little over 12 years and it's working fine now, except for occasional problem with remote which i plan fixing by getting a new remote and receiver box setup. I want to get any parts that could wear out in the reasonable future in case the parts would become "no longer available".

I'm in the process of getting a new pilot assembly and possibly a gas control valve assembly. Are there any other parts that could wear out over a reasonable time period, say 10 years?

The reason I'm doing this is because I stayed at a lodge in Oregon that had a nice gas stove in the lobby. I asked the owner why he never had it burning and he said he was told the repair parts were no longer available. So, I'm just trying to avoid this myself.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Steve
Thanks for asking this, we have the same 12 year old stove except in propane. I was thinking about this myself the other day, I already have a spare pilot assembly but never would have thought about the logs breaking down. A spare valve might be a smart investment also. I had the burner out a few weeks ago when cleaning the stove and it still looked real good.
We're in Calif. and a replacement stove is not going to be allowed in a couple of years so spare parts are going to be important.

Reactions: cinderellaNJ
A quick update about ordering spare parts from Jotul.

I contacted our local Jotul dealer yesterday to inquire about the price and availability of a spare burner for our GF 400 DV Sebago. The part number from the manual is 155336 and the dealer initially quoted me a price of $225. so I went ahead and placed the order.

After contacting Jotul today, the dealer called back to let me know that that number is obsolete and no longer available. There is a replacement burner available though with a part number of 158228 but the price jumps to $650. I couldn't justify a spare at that price so I cancelled the order.

12 years is a long time on a burner in that harsh environment. Might want to pull it & inspect it. Also, once the ceramic fiber logs a start to deteriorate, they will need to be replaced as well.
Thank you for the reply. I just decided to log on to see if there were any replies. I thought I'd get an email notices from this web site after replies, which I didn't. So thanks again. Steve

I contacted our local Jotul dealer yesterday to inquire about the price and availability of a spare burner for our GF 400 DV Sebago. The part number from the manual is 155336 and the dealer initially quoted me a price of $225. so I went ahead and placed the order.

After contacting Jotul today, the dealer called back to let me know that that number is obsolete and no longer available. There is a replacement burner available though with a part number of 158228 but the price jumps to $650. I couldn't justify a spare at that price so I cancelled the order.
Thank you for the reply. I just decided to log on to see if there were any replies. I thought I'd get email notices from this web site after replies, which I didn't. So thanks again. Steve

Thank you for the reply. I just decided to log on to see if there were any replies. I thought I'd get an email notices from this web site after replies, which I didn't. So thanks again. Steve

Thank you for the reply. I just decided to log on to see if there were any replies. I thought I'd get email notices from this web site after replies, which I didn't. So thanks again. Steve

I work on lots of these. The burner is the weak link, if yours is the version with the two piece cast iron, stainless burner. The gasket blows out on them. I don't think that the valve or pilot assembly on this will be obsolete for a long time as they are in current use on new models.

Reactions: 49er
I work on lots of these. The burner is the weak link, if yours is the version with the two piece cast iron, stainless burner. The gasket blows out on them. I don't think that the valve or pilot assembly on this will be obsolete for a long time as they are in current use on new models.

Have you had occasion to replace one of the obsolete two piece burners with the new part# 158228 burner that I mentioned in post #5 yet? I'm curious about what the difference is between the old and new part.