Seasoned Eucalyptus = Rent A Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TreePapa

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2008
Southern Calif.
My latest C/L score (a week or so ago) was a Ranger load (about 1/6th cord) of eukie logs, 4" to 9", which seem to have been sitting for at least 3 years. Very dry. And VERY HARD, and most have branches, or rather had branches. Even the small ones just laugh at the ax and the maul. Thumper the Mega Maul Clone either bounces off or knocks the log down. Even w/ repeated applications of Thumper's tender care, most of 'em won't budge. And I thought I could split 'em with wedges, but I can't even drive the freakin' wedge in enough for it to stand up.

I managed to split about 3 or 4 of the nicer (no branch) logs - with repeated attention from Thumper. But on the others, I can pound the suckers w/ Thumper until my arms and shoulders are buzzing and still nada.

Time to rent a splitter. Or rather, it will be time to rent a splitter when I have a free Saturday. I've got some large and tough pine rounds, wedges, and other oddballs left over from earlier this year as well. w/o a splitter, they are basically unsplittable, at least for me. I'm hoping to p/u one more Ranger load of rounds before I rent the splitter, then I'll have a full day's worth so I get the most out of my rental $$.

On the plus side, eukie burns nice and hot, 'tho it's not the best for starting fires. I like to start w/ pine or something else easy to burn and then throw the eukie on once the fire is good and hot.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.