Seasoned Honey Locust in a year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
Got some Maple and Honey Locust from my uncle last summer when he got some trees taken down. My yard gets full sun almost all day and this summer has been quite dry here in CT. It is also in direct wind from the north or south. I split a few pieces and am amazed at the moisture content of this locust. Been coming in at 12-20%. Can it season this quick in ideal conditions? It seems 2-3 years is usually what it takes based on post's here.

10170932_10151953727520670_6206275098676579458_n.jpg

2014_09_12_18_00_18.jpg

Last edited:
yes, locust can dry quick especially in your ideal conditions. Enjoy!

I checked mine after a year and it was still very high, hopefully tomorrow I will check again, it is approaching 1.5 years split, I don't need it so it's not a big deal but I like keeping an eye on its progress, I does seem like special wood and I want it at optimal dryness when I do burn it.....

A stack getting good sun and wind all summer will dry pretty quick. Like you said, those are pretty ideal conditions.

I've got oak stacked in similar conditions for a year that's already down to 26 percent so I believe it

Looks like you have a good spot for drying! Yes locust can dry quickly given those conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.