Seasoned logs?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunk30

Nov 15, 2008
North Shore MA
I have access to some trees that have been down for 2+ years ..... I was going to cut them into 24" logs (size my stove can take) with chainsaw bring them home then split them..... Will it be ready to burn right away?

You should quarter a piece and then take a reading with a moisture meter from inside the fresh split.

Usually the driest of the dry that comes from the woods will still sizzle in your stove. If you have an non EPA stove this wood will burn better than in a EPA stove.( That is my experience anyway.) I used to cut my wood 24" long. I found it to be more trouble than it's worth, I find it to better to have a little extra room in the fire box for maneuvering logs, besides those 24" pieces can be really tough to handle and split. %-P

I split my wood in the fall and cover the top . I run out of last years wood at the end of January and will start burning my splits . I would like to have a nice wood shed full of dry wood ready for the heating season but i never do . My wood tarp blows off the piles and my kids never remember to cover it after they bring wood in the house . I would split it small and try to keep a 2 day supply in side . The wood burns better if its dry.

lunk30 said:
Pagey said:
You should quarter a piece and then take a reading with a moisture meter from inside the fresh split.
Where can i get a moisture meter went to a woodstove store to ask and they didn't know...

Google it and you'll find lots of sources. I got mine from a Hong Kong vendor on eBay for something like 20 bucks. It's not a precision instrument, but it'll give you a good idea of where you are.

These things have two little sharp probes you're supposed to push into the wood about a half inch, but that's impossible without risking breaking them, so you need to use an awl or similar to make the holes, then fit the probes into the holes.

lunk30 said:
I have access to some trees that have been down for 2+ years ..... I was going to cut them into 24" logs (size my stove can take) with chainsaw bring them home then split them..... Will it be ready to burn right away?

Yes, as soon as it is dry.

Depends on the species, diameter, etc. If it's a good hardwood - doubtful. I'm cutting 2 ft oaks that have been down 5+ years and the middles are still wet.

Be prepared to wait. I split rounds at 16", standing dead, down a year, that were still too wet to burn. But that was oak. 1 year seasoned soft maple rounds that were cut green seasoned very quickly once split.

lunk30 said:
just throw a split in the fire if it burns good your ready if it hisses you need more time to season.(Thats free!)

I doubt it will be dry enough. I've got a lot I've been cutting and it's all 30+% split. It is drying out quicker though. I think mine will be ready in a month or so to burn. Hopefully anyway because I am short this year.

madrone said:
Be prepared to wait. I split rounds at 16", standing dead, down a year, that were still too wet to burn. But that was oak. 1 year seasoned soft maple rounds that were cut green seasoned very quickly once split.

Yeah, it def. depends on the species. Softer maple (swamp, silver) is good to go after a year, and in my experience can start getting kinda punky by the third year.

Status
Not open for further replies.