1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Seasoned logs?????

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by lunk30, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunk30

lunk30 Member

Loc:
    North Shore MA
    I have access to some trees that have been down for 2+ years ..... I was going to cut them into 24" logs (size my stove can take) with chainsaw bring them home then split them..... Will it be ready to burn right away?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    You should quarter a piece and then take a reading with a moisture meter from inside the fresh split.
  3. lunk30

lunk30 Member

Loc:
    North Shore MA
    Where can i get a moisture meter went to a woodstove store to ask and they didn't know...
  4. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Usually the driest of the dry that comes from the woods will still sizzle in your stove. If you have an non EPA stove this wood will burn better than in a EPA stove.( That is my experience anyway.) I used to cut my wood 24" long. I found it to be more trouble than it's worth, I find it to better to have a little extra room in the fire box for maneuvering logs, besides those 24" pieces can be really tough to handle and split. %-P
  5. wellbuilt home

wellbuilt home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY
    I split my wood in the fall and cover the top . I run out of last years wood at the end of January and will start burning my splits . I would like to have a nice wood shed full of dry wood ready for the heating season but i never do . My wood tarp blows off the piles and my kids never remember to cover it after they bring wood in the house . I would split it small and try to keep a 2 day supply in side . The wood burns better if its dry.
  6. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, Vermont
    Google it and you'll find lots of sources. I got mine from a Hong Kong vendor on eBay for something like 20 bucks. It's not a precision instrument, but it'll give you a good idea of where you are.

These things have two little sharp probes you're supposed to push into the wood about a half inch, but that's impossible without risking breaking them, so you need to use an awl or similar to make the holes, then fit the probes into the holes.
  7. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Yes, as soon as it is dry.
  8. caber

caber New Member

Loc:
    Western Maryland
    Depends on the species, diameter, etc. If it's a good hardwood - doubtful. I'm cutting 2 ft oaks that have been down 5+ years and the middles are still wet.
  9. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    Be prepared to wait. I split rounds at 16", standing dead, down a year, that were still too wet to burn. But that was oak. 1 year seasoned soft maple rounds that were cut green seasoned very quickly once split.
  10. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    just throw a split in the fire if it burns good your ready if it hisses you need more time to season.(Thats free!)
  11. drdoct

drdoct Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    I doubt it will be dry enough. I've got a lot I've been cutting and it's all 30+% split. It is drying out quicker though. I think mine will be ready in a month or so to burn. Hopefully anyway because I am short this year.
  12. MarcM

MarcM New Member

Loc:
    CT/MA/RI border
    Yeah, it def. depends on the species. Softer maple (swamp, silver) is good to go after a year, and in my experience can start getting kinda punky by the third year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.