1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

"Seasoned" logs (?)

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Slow1, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    So I'm looking for my wood supply for next year. I found a post on CL for wood that seemed to be a good price etc. As they all do, it was listed as "seasoned hard wood". I asked when it was split (I literally could hear a saw in the background.. funny eh?). The story is as follows: The logs were cut a year and a half ago and have been "seasoning" in a pile since that time. He is bucking and splitting them now.

So, I am quite certain this wood is NOT ready to burn now (despite his opinion), but any guesses if I buy it and stack it well now for the summer if it will likely be good to burn this fall? I forgot to ask exactly what type of 'hard wood' it is, but I'll guess oak and ash given what most commonly sold about here - I will ask when I actually call back.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kenny chaos

kenny chaos Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,ny
    Yes. Yes it will.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    It should be okay if it is not red oak. That could be touchy. Ash, no problem.

You are a very wise man to be buying your wood for next winter now.
  4. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    be sure its split down good and stack it in a single row along a fence ,should be plenty suitable by next winter
  5. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Wish I had a fence line to stack along... I'm going to be somewhat challenged to find space to stack all the wood I need for two seasons as it is - not to mention trying to carve out some space that the wife will allow me to use for processing whatever I can scrounge up. I have relatively little prime seasoning realestate and what is in the sun is in the front yard - not a good place since I am afraid it would annoy the wife and please those who are looking to acquire free wood for camping or whatever. Thus I expect to either stack it double/triple deep and tall (with some sort of support on ends) or try my hand at building a HH which might be what I need for my limited RE situation.

This deal is for $190/cord delivered. Very good price at the moment for this area - not as good as getting log length ($100/cord approx) but if it is a year ahead on the seasoning and already split that has to be worth a good part of that $90 premium I figure. Generally I'm finding cords at about $300 delivered. Beginning of last summer they were 220 so I'm thinking this may be about as good as it is going to get for processed wood. I still want to cut/split my own and all, but I don't know that I can get enough down fast enough for next winter (certainly not for good hardwoods, already too late for that if fresh cut eh?). I want 4-5 cords available for each year until I get my usage figured out and stove burn mastered - rather have extra than run out. But I've digressed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.