Seasoned percent for open fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

E.Merckx

Nov 11, 2019
New England
I imagine that wood used in an open fireplace does not need the MC as low as wood stoves so, does anyone know if there is a standard accepted MC % for open fireplaces? I'm sure many know that 20 and under is the popularly accepted percentage for burning in an EPA wood stove but I've never come across anything for an open fireplace.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I imagine that wood used in an open fireplace does not need the MC as low as wood stoves so, does anyone know if there is a standard accepted MC % for open fireplaces? I'm sure many know that 20 and under is the popularly accepted percentage for burning in an EPA wood stove but I've never come across anything for an open fireplace.

Thanks.
To my knowledge, the same exact rules (or guidance) apply. Creosote will still develop more rapidly and coat your flue with higher MC wood. I think the only difference is that those of us with an open fireplace are not concerned about heating efficiency or lost BTUs due to higher MC wood. Me, personally, I mix my subpar wood in with known kiln dried wood on top down start up just to get it blazing hot for the first 30 minutes. It allows a coal bed to form pretty quickly and helps with igniting/burning the wetter wood. I also add creosote powder *every single* fire knowing that I'm not burning the best wood.

As long as the wood is dry enough that it isn't smoldering you don't have to worry much about creosote. If you have good flames your good to go.