Seasoned Wood ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator eye

Hearth Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
I see a lot of people here like to season there wood 2 to 3 years.

Is that green wood seasoning time?

How long for dead standing with the bark already falling off??

I like to age my wood two years, but dead standing wood with the bark off, should be ready to go this winter. Just cut it and split it and let it age a little more.

What kind of wood we talking about?
Birch/cherry/red maple with the bark falling off seasons pretty fast compared to the likes of Red Oak and dare I say White Oak.

WoodButcher

If you were working the dead chain-dulling red oak in my yard it might be dry enoughto use in January.
Especially if you keep your splits rather thin.

I ve been searching the hill side and got all different kinds of dead trees,-- elm, cherry, ash, maple, even a few poplars.
When cut most of the bark falls off. The only one that looks wet when split was the poplar, that was even wet under the peeling bark. I put that in a seperate pile, was hoping to burn the rest this winter.

I love standing dead! I save it till about September then I cut it split it, and let it dry before I bring it in for winter! There is always some to be had!

Gator if your split wood is off the ground in the sun and wind there's a good chance it'll burn well enough this winter...the poplar will be good to go that for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.