Q&A Seasoning a new cast iron stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just bought a 602 and was told that there was a special technique to follow when building a fire in a cast iron stove. It was something about not building a fire to hot too fast or else the cast iron will crack. Also something was mentioned about having a bed of ashes on the bottom of the stove as well. As this is a brand new stove and I've always had steel stoves with firebrick liners I am asking you for advice

Answer:

With any stove- especially a cast iron stove- you want to build the first few fires small- and let them die down immediately after the stove has heated up. Don't get it too hot on the first fire- just hot enough so you can barely touch it...then you can do another 3 or 4 "seasoning" fires. This allows all the parts to heat and cool and fit together properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.