seasoning advise on multiple types of hardwoods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
Hey guys. I have been learning a lot from all of you through the years and appreciate all the advise in the past. Here is my next one.. In what order should I burn this wood I have. All my wood is stacked 3 rows deep on pallets. Here is the wood and how much I have and how long its been split and stacked.
Maple-- 4 cords and been seasoning since August 2012.
White/Red Oak--3 cords and been seasoning since August 2012.
This weekend I split and stacked 3 cords of maple and ash mixed.
Also I split and stacked this weekend 1 cord of white oak. I have 2 cords of honey locust still in rounds because I dont have any more room to stack, so I am holding off on that til maybe in the fall. If I had to I could maybe make room for the locust. In what order should I burn for next year and how long should I wait for each species.

1) Maple-- 4 cords and been seasoning since August 2012.

2) This weekend I split and stacked 3 cords of maple and ash mixed.

3) White/Red Oak--3 cords and been seasoning since August 2012. (in all reality this needs 2 years yet)

4)Also I split and stacked this weekend 1 cord of white oak. I have 2 cords of honey locust still in rounds because I dont have any more room to (this needs 3 years and the clock for the HL hasent started because it isnt CSS)

I'd say get that fresh ash restacked in a single row if possible. Then I would burn the maple and ash for next winter. Leave the 3 cord of red and white till at least winter of 14-15 (15-16 would be better). Get that locust split and save it for 14-15 and the white oak you just split would be good for late 15-16.

Oak in multiple deep rows will not dry in NJ.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
You feel the oak will not be dry after 2 or 3 summers?
Not in my experience. I've had fresh cut oak, stacked in multiple rows, in the shade for 3 yrs that was still in the high 20's mc.
I stay away from oak unless it fall in my backyard.

Hey guys. I have been learning a lot from all of you through the years and appreciate all the advise in the past. Here is my next one.. In what order should I burn this wood I have. All my wood is stacked 3 rows deep on pallets. Here is the wood and how much I have and how long its been split and stacked.
Maple-- 4 cords and been seasoning since August 2012.
White/Red Oak--3 cords and been seasoning since August 2012.
This weekend I split and stacked 3 cords of maple and ash mixed.
Also I split and stacked this weekend 1 cord of white oak. I have 2 cords of honey locust still in rounds because I dont have any more room to stack, so I am holding off on that til maybe in the fall. If I had to I could maybe make room for the locust. In what order should I burn for next year and how long should I wait for each species.

For next year:
1. The 4 cord of maple.
2. The ash.
3. The maple you cut this weekend.
4. Get more wood because that oak needs 3 years before it will be good.

Mixed feelings on the oak on how it is stacked. I normally stack wood in rows of 3. If I have just a little oak, I'll stack it right in with the rest but I much prefer to separate the oak and stack it by itself. I also like to stack the oak in single or double rows. For sure I want that oak in the windiest spot on the property. I like some sun on it too but will settle for wind alone with no problem. I feel too many folks put too much emphasis on sun for drying. Air circulation is what is needed and that says wind. I also will stack the oak very loosely. Never try to stack that stuff tight, so usually 4-4 1/2' in height is plenty else the danged stuff will be falling over. Nothing says you can't stack it in even shorter stacks. And for sure I would top cover it immediately after stacking in your area.

Reactions: Bret Chase
Status
Not open for further replies.