Seasoning and Storing Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
I am new to the wood burning thing so, naturally, I thought I could improve on what already was known to be tried and true.

Recently I attempted to make a solar kiln to dry wood faster. My design ultilized a six mil clear plastic tarp over the wood pile and solar powered fan to vent the moisture. Unfortunately, the temperature inside the "kiln" was only a few degrees higher than the outside temperature and the fan could not keep up with the moisture buildup inside. I quickly scrapped the project and went with the tried and true method (I think).

That leads to my topic...... I currently store most of my wood on a platform (4x8 feet) and stack the wood four feet high (alternating the direction of the pieces and with a tarp over the top). I wonder if the ventilation through the stack is enough. I know using a face cord rack is good for ventilation, but I am not sure about this.

I am told that my oak/maple/locust/mulberry and other hardwood pieces (cut to somewhat small sizes) will season in six months when split and stacked now. I am not sure.

Your comments on this topic are appreciated.

Long single rows about 4` high is best is you have the room for it. with just the top covered, or no cover and top row bark side up. Having said that- I am doing both this year, rows and pallets. FWIW I have found that straight into the woodshed is not the best method.

Status
Not open for further replies.