Seasoning Elm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTHC

Nov 12, 2009
Northwestern Vermont
Cut/split & stacked about a cord of standing dead Elm on Saturday. Most of the trees were no bigger than 14" at the base (Elm Bark Beetle damaged trees), except for one which was quite large - almost 20". Was wondering if my haul would be ready by next season? For the most part - the top third of the trees had no bark, and the remaining 2/3 bark would fall off while splitting. The splitting got real interesting as i got to the base of the 20" tree... thank you hydraulic splitter!

Will be tackling a HUGE witness tree Sugar Maple this weekend that got trashed in a wind storm this past fall. Bucking/splitting leaders that peeled off the main truck like banana peels... Kind of a shame, this tree has been around for centuries (no joke). It's about 4-5' diameter at the base. we don't have the tools to drop the whole thing, so we'll have to wait on Mother Nature to do the job. In the meantime the leaders are about 18-20" which should yield some quality firewood.

I have used dead standing elm once its split it doesnt take long to season. I say you will be fine for next year.

I think Elm should be seasoned in a year, especially if it was already dead standing when cut.

Depends on size & every situation is different.I can usually count on logs 3"-7" to be bone-dry & ready to burn,and anything larger (that I normally split at least once anyway) to contain much more moisture.If the tree(s) are standing up or leaning,look for no bark,silver trunks & long vertical cracks.That's a good sign they're a little dryer than usual,still not quite ready though.

It will be ready with out a problem based on 30 years of wood burning unless you stacked it so it can not get wind and sun.

Elm from live trees that I cut, split & stacked in August is drying very quickly. I could probably burn the smaller splits now if I was desperate. Unless you leave the lower trunk in very big chunks I'd say it's all prime by next season.

I have cut a lot of standing dead elm and as a general rule, anything 5" and under is already going to be under 20% and I will leave that in the round as it gives a good long burn. Anything over 5" should be ready by fall but i would split it a little smaller.

I'm just starting to burn some elm I got in a load of c/d/s this fall and I'm amazed at what good burning stuff it is.

This was cut down a year or so ago, then cut to length and split in late summer. Many of the "splits" are heeuuuggge, so I've had to split them down further with the splitter, which is a major PITA with all those tough, twisty fibers. The pieces I cut down from the huge splits were still a little green, but they've dried out seemingly completely in just a couple days sitting inside by the stove and are burning extremely well. It'd probably be better next year, but I'm running low on my seasoned stuff already since it's been such a cold winter, so dug into the elm sooner than I had planned.

I'm surprised how much heat it puts out since it's such a lightweight wood compared to the beech and black birch and even rock maple I mostly burn and I wasn't expecting much out of it. Good stuff if you can tolerate the hassle of splitting it. Nice surprise.

Elm dries relatively fast and it definitely should be ready to burn next fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.