Seasoning fire???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Ryan

Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2008
Long Island NY
Hi All,

I just installed my fireview this weekend and i have a question?

The book says to have 3 fires about 3 hours long and that should season the stove. It does not say that i should or should not engage the combuster during the seasoning process. I don't want to mess it up right off the bat.

Thanks
Walter

I believe three fires is corect, and I would start with a small, then medium and then light her up. I maybe wrong but thats the way I also understood it and it seemed to work well. Be prepared for some ordor I would do it while it is still nice enough out to open some windows if neccesary

I put in my Keystone and built one small fire. The surface temp went to like 175 degrees. The next one I brought the surface temp up to 300 and had the cat ignited. The fire lasted forever. My sales rep from Woodstock said it was ok and I could now start 24/7 burns.

Three is a good number in general. For the first one there is going to be a lot of fumes coming off the new finish, so you'll want lots of windows open to vent them (dont pick a freezing cold day). Probably not good to mess w/ your catalytic for the first fire. The second one will still have some odor, but far less. If you build up the stove to the necessary temp towards the end and want to engage the catalytic to see the difference in behavior/emissions, no harm in that, but maybe shouldnt be the focus. For the third fire, start as if it would be a normal fire, mess around w/ the catalytic a bit, let it burn out and vacuum out the stove once its cooled down.

This is what I did for my first break in fire.

1st fire- Just about a 10 pieces of kindling with the bypass open, fired it on high and let her burn out. I don't think the temp even reached 200.

2nd fire- Kindling and a couple small splits. Again I burned it the same as the 1st.

3rd fire- built a medium sized fire and engaged the cat. I think the temp got up to 400 or so, then let it burn out.

After that I felt it was good to go and burned full loads. Be advised you may see some sizzling mortar and moisture escaping from the stone, this is normal and is the reason for break in.

Todd and I did almost exactly the same thing and it worked really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.