1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Seasoning Wood - HOA Problems

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Isomil, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Isomil

Isomil New Member

Got a great deal on some mixed hardwood, but it definitely needs some more seasoning and drying out. The wood itself is somewhat green and has a smell to it and it wasn't covered during the floods we got around here in Boulder, Co.

Found out that the HOA would not let it be stored in the sun outside, so it is in a storage shed in the garage that has pretty bad airflow. Was trying to speed up the seasoning of the wood, but the only thing I have in that storage shed (more like a particle board enclosed cube) is a light socket.

Would putting a small ceramic light heater in there help? Maybe find a light socket fan to get some air flowing?

Trying to get creative with it, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    Welcome to the forum.

In guessing your storage area is pretty dry just from what I know of your local climate which is to your benefit. If I put wood into an area like that here all I would is grow mold. Any air blowing across your wood will help but if your storage area is fully enclosed you need to get some air running through it. Maybe with some PC sized fans on vent holes with a wall wort transformer to power them?
  3. Isomil

Isomil New Member

I did go check on it a few minutes ago and indeed there is some white mold.

I cant change the structure, but since its a garage shared with only a few of my neighbors could probably easily just leave the door open. Only thing in there is wood.

With a door open if I could find a fan which connects into a light socket, would that greatly improve it? Could also just do a socket to outlet adapter and plug in whatever.
  4. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    A fan would help quite a bit
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Welcome to the forum Isomil.

That really sucks big time about not being able to stack outdoors. If I were in that situation, I would try to put both a fan and a humidifier in that shed. I would also be attending some council meetings to get that rule out. Go prepared though and keep emotions out as much as possible. Let them know that you want to heat with wood which is good for ecology but only if you can burn dry wood. Let them know that wood needs to dry at least a year before burning and by doing that, the emissions from your wood stove will be very low but if you attempt to burn wood that has not dried properly, the emissions won't be so good. It might also help to take pictures of that mold. What does that mold do for you when you or your family enters that shed?

Good luck.
    Fifelaker likes this.
  6. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Welcome to the forum Isomil. Are you alone out there? Any relatives you could ask to dry your wood on their property?
  7. Isomil

Isomil New Member

I just rent the condo, so unfortunately I can't really debate with the HOA. The storage shed is more of a small enclosure, so no one will actually be in it.

Think I may have found a spot outside that's not in plain view under a balcony that could work. About 3 ft of height, 12 ft wide, and would have 3 of the 6 sides of the stack with exposure.
  8. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    One of the things I fear living where I do, which is why I try to play nicey nice with the neighbors. For the most part if it's in front you will get a knock on the door, in back only if a neighbor complains. One of the thoughts I have had just in case it would happen to me, what if you "hide" the stacks with potted plants? Might not allow the best of air flow but might be better then the shed and make the HOA accept? Just my thoughts. Good luck.
  9. BIGDADDY

BIGDADDY Feeling the Heat

Would you be allowed to put up some kind of fence to keep it out of view like some apartment buildings hide dumpsters?
    What exactly does the HOA policy say? You can't store it outside or in view or what?
  10. Isomil

Isomil New Member

Place I rent doesn't actually have any kind of yard. Just a front and back concreted patio and the HOA does not allow it to be stacked in a visible location of the "common areas", which is technically where my patios are.

The place I'm thinking about stacking it hopefully will work. Its a little fenced off area with a gate that goes around the city's farmers ditch. Its normally just overgrown with all variations of unwanted weeds and brush. Wood has to better than that right? haha
  11. BIGDADDY

So you're renting. Is the HOA included in any lease agreement you signed with landlord?

At least you are in a more temporary situation then if you owned the place.
    I'd look for another place in the meantime if possible.
  12. Isomil

Isomil New Member

Lease Agreement eh? This was the most informal lease I've ever seen, but maybe that's because I'm renting from the owners. One page word document saying pretty much deposit, HOA requires you pick up after your pet, and rent is due on the third. Back home no matter what you were renting there was a very detailed and long state form.

Will definitely think this through more for the next place when the lease is up. Didn't have many fires back in Dallas and having a fireplace at all was not common so I skipped the whole thought process for this.
  13. Isomil

Isomil New Member

BTW I'm impressed by all the responses to a noob question without any flaming. Great community you have here.
  14. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Flaming is out of here. In a heartbeat. We don't play that here.
    basod likes this.
  15. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    When we moved here we built the house exactly one hundred and eighty yards away to not be in an HOA. One day a guy came through the woods to tell me my stacks violated the HOA regs. I told him that kicking his ass back to the property line was within my regs.

Dude hauled ass real fast and hasn't been seen since. That was years ago. Word gets around about that crusty old fart. ;lol
  16. BIGDADDY

How much do you like your landlord? I don't think I would like the landlord leaving out ANY restrictions to the property I was renting. Maybe you could get a rent reduction or stack the wood on your property, because as long as you're renting it, it is yours. If your lease doesn't restrict you from stacking firewood outside then that is your agreement with the landlord. I think that's what Judge Judy would say. Lol
    You could go on ask a lawyer it's free and a real lawyer will answer your question.

http://www.avvo.com/ask-a-lawyer?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ask a lawyer for free&utm_campaign=legalbroad
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  17. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    Yes in Northern Virginia the HOAs are pretty bad, at least according to friends I have who live in that area. I generally think that if you want the freedom to do what you like with your own property you should steer clear of them.

As for the OP, first welcome Isomil! Second, definitely leave the door open on that shed and if you can get a fan on that wood then do it. Dehumidifier would not hurt either as was suggested earlier. As you're just renting the place I would not spend a lot of time trying to get this rule changed. If you can find another place, or a place to buy, if you want to burn wood make sure you check out all the local codes and ordinances if you are in town. Hopefully you can find a solution that will work for you this winter!
  18. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    HOA eh.. been there and messed with a complaining neighbor so bad that he was convinced someone else had moved his trash can towards the road - digital copies of the letterhead are fun to play with if you ever get one.
    His wife was the ornery one while changing the oil in my vette and caddy one morning - vehicles on jacks while morning called were unacceptable to her
  19. Isomil

Isomil New Member

Talking to the neighbors they suggested a ask for forgiveness later approach. So went ahead and moved a little of the wood to see if anyone complains. Not perfectly ideal from what I read, but much better than before.

Attached Files:

20. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    My overall first reaction to this would be if you are going to be using fans and dehumidifiers on a daily basis which have an ELECTRIC cost associated would it outweigh the benefit of using wood? Unfortunately in your circumstance you can't use the natural outdoors to dry the wood like most of us can which is a huge cost savings.
  21. mcollect

mcollect Member

Loc:
    Garrett County, Md
    We use a dehumidifier to take slab wood to 10% for cabinet wood. Just cover the inside of the shed with plastic and run the dehumid until it is ready. takes a very short time, let the dehumid vent out side and the heat really helps.
  22. Papa-Yankee-Romeo-Oscar

Papa-Yankee-Romeo-Oscar Member

Loc:
    Rural St. Elmo, IL
    +1... that's exactly what I was thinking. A fan isn't so bad but a dehumidifier is a fairly large energy hog and I especially wouldn't run a space heater.

Maybe stack it the other way so the air can flow through the stack/stacks a bit better.
    basod likes this.
  23. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Thumbs up for the phonetic alphabet;lol
  24. Papa-Yankee-Romeo-Oscar

Papa-Yankee-Romeo-Oscar Member

Loc:
    Rural St. Elmo, IL
    ::-)
    Tango-Yankee