Second night with the new stove burning....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ourhouse

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2006
Norfolk Ma
Things are going well, I just have a couple of questions.

1. I bought 2 thermometers today. One is supposed to be a stove thermometer and the other is supposed to be a pipe thermometer. However, they both say to attach them to the pipe. The pipe thermometer I put 12" above the stove on the pipe as instructed by the directions. Nowhere in my stove manual does it say where to put thermometers and at what temps I should be looking for. Where should I put the stove thermometer on the stove and what are the optimal temps? It is a 4300 Quad StepTop.

2. In the manual it says do not let any parts of your stove turn cherry red but my secondary burn tubes seem to be a little red when it gets hot. I dampered it down a little bit and that seemed to have worked. Or is it normal for them to get a little red? I have never had a stove with a glass window in it to see what is actually going on in there while it's burning. And I don't want to over fire my stove.

Thanks for all of the help guys,
John

My burn tubes will get red now and then, and I don't worry about it much.

If the stove surface get's red... it's too hot.

If my stove surface turned red I'd crap my pants.

Earth harvester, what the heck is that avatar of yours??

Its not my stove surface that gets that hot it's the secondary burn tubes that get a little red. If I saw the surface of my stove get red hot I would have a stroke.
My avatar is a 95' pine tree I cut down and a 575 Husky with a 28" bar on it.

My understanding for the thermometer on the pipe is to put it 18 inches up from the stove, although I can't rememeber where I read that. The single wall pipe temp should be hotter than 270 (above the creosote buildup temp) and not over 600. I think they start glowing red around 700. I'm happy with the pipe around 350-400. My stove thermometer usually reads about 50 degrees hotter than the stack once it warms up.

DavidV said:
If my stove surface turned red I'd crap my pants.

Earth harvester, what the heck is that avatar of yours??

Well watch out for that new hard drafting liner ya got. The ole Sierra turned red on top for the first time ever last night. With just three splits and all but the secondary air shut down.

Believe me. Crapping your pants isn't an option. The relevent orifice puckers up so tight it ain't gonna happen.

Methinks the guys that made this sucker never dreamed of chimney liners.

I had stainless steel tubes in my old Homestead, and they occasionally turned red, but never warped. If the tubes aren't stainless I might be a little worried.

I always put my thermometers center top of stove. I think anything over 700 on a steel stove is getting too hot. Years back had an old Energy King steel stove I had the thermometer pegged over 900! Nothing turned red, but I sure had that pucker factor til she cooled back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.