Second thermostat on Forced hot air system?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backpack09

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2007
Rochester, Mass
As many of you must have experienced, running the woodstove on the first floor can leave the second floor quite chilly.... last night I caught a rash of crap because it was only 48 in the bedroom. The thermostat is set at 62, but it is on the first floor and the first floor was nice and toasty via the stove.

Now my question is, can I install a second thermostat on the second floor, and wire it in parallel with the existing one on the first floor without shorting something out?

I know the first floor will get hot as hell, but this is all I can think of besides a space heater or rezoning the entire system.

Thanks
Dan

I would just turn up the down stairs thermostat to 72 so it will come on.

OK, but I do not want to be burning oil to get the entire house to 72. 60 is fine in the bedroom.

Backpack09 said:
OK, but I do not want to be burning oil to get the entire house to 72. 60 is fine in the bedroom.

it will be 72 on the frist floor but the 2nd story will not even be close to the 72

Sorry, I forgot to add that we only burn nights and weekends. So the entire house will drop down to the 62 by the morning.

It will not short anything out by running them in parallel.
Why don't you work on getting some of that warm air upstairs instead ? What is the temp downstairs?

Whata the layout of the house? If its really warm on the first floor you probably have enough output from your stove to make it alot more comfortable upstairs. Find the straightest shot you cna and use a fan on a low setting to clow cold air out from the bedroom (or amybe just down the stairs or wherever suits you. Blow the air towards the stove or a concentration of warm air on the first floor...physics will step in and in an effort to keep the air pressure equalized the cold air will push hot air out of that rooma nd to the only place it has to go...upstairs. You'll need to do some experimentation but this has worked for countless people.

Barring that I would be inclined to disconnect the downstairs thermostat and extend the wires upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.