Secondaries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sesmith

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2009
Central NY
Just loving the glass view on my new used Jotul 602 cb. Never had a chance to see the secondary burn in action on my previous 2 stoves.

Secondaries

I love watching them dance from above, truly mesmerizing. Thanks for sharing.

I used to have one of those in my old house. I loved that little stove.

Good burn times? No way. Cool looking stove and fun to operate? Yes!

Agree completely. Ours is in our log cabin (about 400 sq ft). Perfect size for that. Once all the wood in the place is up to temp, it holds heat for a while, so shorter small fires work great.

Nice stove, I have the same in my 600 sq ft log cabin and it does just fine keeping the place in the mid 70's all Winter long. It is amazing how those logs retain the heat. They may not have the R value of a regular stick built home but the logs act like a big heat battery and release it when the fire dies.

I was really surprised in my burn times. I see coals for relight anywhere from 6-9 hours depending on the load and weather conditions.

What kind of stove top temps do you see? My hot plate sees 900+ at times while the area in back of it near the flue collar can cruise at 600-700.

Just loving the glass view on my new used Jotul 602 cb. Never had a chance to see the secondary burn in action on my previous 2 stoves.

View attachment 264352
Wow, I've never been able to get that kind of secondary action on mine, nor can I run with the air open like that. What part of the burn are you in? What are your temps?

Wow, I've never been able to get that kind of secondary action on mine, nor can I run with the air open like that. What part of the burn are you in? What are your temps?
I see that in mine towards the end of the main outgassing burn, just before the coaling stage.

I also burn my stove with the door air intake completely closed. That little spring in the door that keeps the door air. From completely closing worn out last year so it can be completely closed and The only air is from the door air wash and secondaries. I think that's when my burn times got better.

Yes, N. My understanding is they are interchangeable. Jotul's CB manual shows the pic of an N on it, or vice versa.

Concerning temps on the stove. I'm a little old school. Don't bother monitoring temps.

The manual I have saved is for an F 602 and showed a pic of the 602 N in it. They did have a 602 N for Europe that did not have the secondary burn manifold in it. This stove is not that one. Wonder if they just used the 602 N castings for the US market for a while. Would like to know the official story if there is one.

Reactions: Todd
I don't know the history of the N or CB but I had a look at the New V2 about a month back. I lifted up the burn plate and you can see the turbulators at the front on top of the baffle and they also drilled more secondary air holes on top of the baffle right before the turbulators. I guess thats how they cleaned up emissions for the EPA.