Secondary air inlet cover on Jotul F3 cb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaD

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2013
Scotland
i realise I'm probably asking folk to speculate rather than draw from their experience... As few folk are likely to have had this issue

The secondary air inlet on the rear left of the Jotul F3 CB has a cast iron 'cover' screwed over it. This cover is approx 4" wide by 6" long. It covers the inlet on three sides, allowing air to flow upwards from below,through the open bottom part of the cover and from there it journeys a few inches into the small opening in the stove that is the inlet itself.

This cover must have a function, I assume that it mutes the flow of air into the burn plate a little... or...?

Anyway, I would like to invite those of you who know more than I do about this or similar setups to speculate - or indeed explain - what the effect would be on the behaviour/performance of the stove IF that inlet cover were absent.

So we're clear.. I am not in any way considering removing this cover as some sort of modification :eek:

Thanks... And happy February.. Wow.. Already!

Maybe the cover is a flow regulator creating a slight restriction? You may have to ask the Jotul engineers this. Did the chaps from Jotul show up yet?

Jotul guy and the dealer who installed came two days ago. I guess I should really write about that in the other thread, right?

It is connected to my question here though, as I discovered today that the secondary inlet cover is not in place. It is hanging from the end of a screw, away from the inlet itself. The only reason it hasn't fallen to the ground is that the rear heat sheild is stopping the screw from completely falling out.

I'll continue my 'dark side' story on that thread...

I would definitely screw it back in place. It is starting to sound like your stove either was the last stove on the line before a holiday party or someone had it apart and started putting it back together, but forgot to tighten anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.