Secondary Combustion Designs: Tubular Manifold versus Solid Plate with holes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pellethead said:
Corie,

For what it may be worth, last year Vermont Castings/Majestic came out with a new non-catalytic burn chamber design which they call "EverBurn". They claim much longer burn times with this burn chamber design as compared to other brands of non-cat stoves. Anyway. if you are really interested in this stuff, you should certainly stick your head into a Vermont Castings stove with "EverBurn" to see the design. Let us know what you find - tubes? baffles? or ?

The reason I mention this is that it appears that Vermont Castings has winner with the "EverBurn" burn chamber as they are selling a lot of stoves with EverBurn.

Harman also has a secondary burn chamber in the back of their stoves. Must be similar to VC's.

Back in the mid 90's I had an Energy King wood stove with a 3.2 cu ft fire box. It didn't have a steel baffle with holes or tubes. It had a metal strip shaped as a "T" with holes running through. Then there were firebricks resting on top of it creating the insulating heat for secondary combustion. I thought it burned great, even on low it always had lively flames and clean glass. Later when I moved and started looking at stoves, Energy King changed their design and went to a cat stove.

Corie,
If it's a challenge you want maybe you could incorporate both technologies, cat and non-cat? Then make it a top loader with a grill/rotisserie option?

Status
Not open for further replies.