Secondary combustion for dummies?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pup, I don't hink you need to run your initial temps up that high. My secondaries will kick in at 450* at about 3/8 dampered and will run as long as 3 hours depending on the species of wood. Usually, when the secondaries are done thats it. The stove settles in and gradually start to cool.

Jim

jbrown56 said:
Pup, I don't hink you need to run your initial temps up that high. My secondaries will kick in at 450* at about 3/8 dampered and will run as long as 3 hours depending on the species of wood. Usually, when the secondaries are done thats it. The stove settles in and gradually start to cool.

Jim

What is the down side to running that hot? Burning up my wood faster?

bokehman said:
leakypuppy said:
Nothing really shooting out of the tubes
I don't get a lot with oak but with pine I do. If you want to see some secondary burn (as a demo) get the stove hot and throw in a few sheets of cardboard.

I've got to try that tonight!

Maybe make sure your baffles are setting right in the top of the stove?

I really do wonder if this isn't a problem with your expectations about secondary burn.

I cranked my stove up to 800 last night and could see what you guys are talking about where the tubes look like gas jets, but there is an awful lot of secondary combustion that will just look like rolling billowing flames in your firebox. There's no need to run the stove that hot as long as the smoke is burning inside the firebox at a much lower temp.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.