Secondary combustion in wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
Planning to put a Royall wood furnace in my shop. Thinking of ways to make it more efficient/burn cleaner. Add secondary combustion tubes/air? Think I recall hearing about this but wanted to see if anyone has done it successfully.

Getting good secondary combustion is a very very fine-tuned thing. Retrofitting could be difficult as most older stoves didn't consider that at all. I'm not familiar with the model you're describing though.

What he said ^ ^ ^
I've played around with adding it...getting it right is not easy...although some models might lend themselves to the mod better than others. Personally, I would buy a model that has it already.

Already have the furnace aging in the shed. Going in one way or another. Its already got a shelf(not sure of actual term) to direct the air/flue gases toward the front then up and back out. Still might play around with some stainless tube. It also had an induction blower. Going to switch that out for a temp adjusting damper.