Securing middle section of DVL telescoping piece

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sheneron

Nov 18, 2023
USA
I am finishing up the install of my DVL double wall pipe and the last piece is a telescoping piece and I am wondering how to screw the middle section as there are (obviously) no pre-drilled holes since the height is variable. The provided screws do not appear to be self-tapping, so do I buy 1/2" self-tapping screws and connect the pieces like that?

Also, I have another section of pipe where the pre-drilled holes do not line up due to the rotation of pipe with how I need my 45 angle positioned. Is there any issue to using my own self-tapping screws to attach that section of pipe as well and just not using the pre-drilled holes.

PXL_20231121_034515230.MP.jpg

If it is secured a top, at each joint, and at the flue collar, then it doesn't need to be secured in there.

If it is secured a top, at each joint, and at the flue collar, then it doesn't need to be secured in there.
Ok. Would there be any issue if I were to put a half inch or 3/8s inch self tapping screw in there? I need to do similar at another joint where the predrilled holes do not line up

No harm, as long as it penetrates both sections. A clear hole on the outer sleeve and a pilot hole on the inner will help.

I wouldn’t screw the center, you will make it harder to remove the pipe for cleaning and maintenance, after removing the screw the metal has a dimple and it will rub on the other section