Securing stove pipe to clay thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
The Resolute refurb and install at my parents house is 98% complete. Just need to put the screws in the pipe and it's finished. If I get around to it, I'll try to put all the anecdotes together in one post later. Lots of experience gained on this one.

My question is- where the stove pipe plugs into the clay thimble in the wall, how is it secured?

The way it was set up and run for years was just a friction fit.

The two ways I can imagine are:

1.- fasten a few right angle tabs on the pipe and wall. That would involve drilling holes through tile and cement board, then using masonry screws in the cement board, or

2.- drilling holes in the clay thimble and using masonry screws to go from the inside of the pipe into the clay.

My gut tells me to go withwoption 1, and option 2 is a bad idea.

Just slide the pipe all the way through the thimble till it meets the clay liner and you don't have to worry about securing it. Pack with insulation or gasket rope if there is a gap.

Just slide the pipe all the way through the thimble till it meets the clay liner and you don't have to worry about securing it. Pack with insulation or gasket rope if there is a gap.
Thank you, bholler!