see through fireplace insert or two-sided stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seethru

Feb 5, 2011
Chester Co., PA
Several years ago I posted a query about inserts or stoves that would allow us to burn our plentiful supply of firewood in our two-sided fireplace (between the diningroom and livingroom in our open plan house). An energy auditor told us not to use the fireplace, which would draw the heated air out of the rest of the house and increase our high electric bill. I gather an insert that opens on two sides cannot be tight enough to be EPA rated as efficient; however, I'm just looking for something that makes some contribution to our heat, rather than a detraction, if such a thing exists. This is in Pennsylvania.

Welcome back. To help folks with suggestions here is the pic of the fireplace from 2011.

fireplace-jpg.55517

I've never heard of a two sided insert. Have you actually seen one? If I was in your situation I would install a regular insert (or even a free standing stove if it worked well in one of the rooms) facing toward the room where you spend the most time. On the other side of the fireplace opening I would get a metal fabricator make an attractive looking cover with air holes incorporated into it. I'd install that cover over the back side of the fireplace opening to hide the back of the insert/stove. With a block off plate closing your damper area of the chimney you should get some good heat coming out through the backside cover to throw a little heat in that direction.

There are lots of 2 sided zero clearance fireplace options, in our area anyway.

Here's an example from Lennox: http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/fireplaces/magna-fire/ that is sold in the US.

Here's another one that I think should be a better option:
http://www.nordicenergy.ca/valcourt-fp5-westmount-detail

You would have to modify your stone work to fit plus add the proper chimney but these are EPA rated and will not suck warm air from the house up the chimney like an open fireplace. The difference between an insert and a zero clearance is just like the name sounds. An insert is more expensive because it is designed to fit into a wood stud opening rather than a stone opening but it effectively makes no difference if you can find one that is close on sizing. Many of the ZC units produce just as much heat as a large wood stove.

The other option is that you can retrofit the fireplace with sealed glass doors but I have no experience with this and you would need an installer who does. Masonry heaters are a perfect example of how a stone fireplace can be very efficient. Your energy auditor is correct in that an open fireplace is a huge negative energy draw in winter but they are also horribly uneducated to the many other options that are available.

There are lots of 2 sided zero clearance fireplace options, in our area anyway.

Here's an example from Lennox: http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/fireplaces/magna-fire/ that is sold in the US.

Here's another one that I think should be a better option:
http://www.nordicenergy.ca/valcourt-fp5-westmount-detail

You would have to modify your stone work to fit plus add the proper chimney but these are EPA rated and will not suck warm air from the house up the chimney like an open fireplace. The difference between an insert and a zero clearance is just like the name sounds. An insert is more expensive because it is designed to fit into a wood stud opening rather than a stone opening but it effectively makes no difference if you can find one that is close on sizing. Many of the ZC units produce just as much heat as a large wood stove.

The other option is that you can retrofit the fireplace with sealed glass doors but I have no experience with this and you would need an installer who does. Masonry heaters are a perfect example of how a stone fireplace can be very efficient. Your energy auditor is correct in that an open fireplace is a huge negative energy draw in winter but they are also horribly uneducated to the many other options that are available.

Thanks, DougA, it's fantastic to know there may be something to do with this fireplace! I'll look for a ZC unit around here. Are you in Canada? Is the ZC a new item?

Yup, Cdn. but zero clearance are not new at all. I would reword your title and re-post it and I think you will get more answers. "Looking for 2 sided ZC Fireplace to fit existing opening"

Also, the second link is actually a dealer, not a mfg. (I think) and that unit has a fixed glass on one side and opening on the other which makes a lot of sense. A phone call to them would probably put you in the right direction.

How high is your fireplace? You could just put a free stander in there with a block off plate. I have a see through fireplace too, problem is it's only 25" high so my options are really limited. If I find a small wood stove that my wife likes I'm going to put one in the middle.

Have to say that thought crossed my mind too if the chimney will contain two liners.

Yup, Cdn. but zero clearance are not new at all. I would reword your title and re-post it and I think you will get more answers. "Looking for 2 sided ZC Fireplace to fit existing opening"

Also, the second link is actually a dealer, not a mfg. (I think) and that unit has a fixed glass on one side and opening on the other which makes a lot of sense. A phone call to them would probably put you in the right direction.

That sounds lovely. Thanks, I'll give them a call, and look forward to being warmer next winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.