Seeing buildup near my door hinge - bad gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laxin213

Burning Hunk
Sep 18, 2014
Buffalo NY
Is there any way to explain this other than a bad gasket? The stove is 3 months old, could the gasket have been not installed evenly?

Holding a dollar bill against that area with the blower off - I'm not seeing a noticeable movement. This is the first I've noticed it this season, burned 1.66 full cords so far.

Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422819087.931148.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422819107.552618.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When the fireplace is cool, examine the gasket there to see if there is debris embedded in it or it is frayed around that location. If possible maybe fluff it up a little there.

Thanks for the reply I'll try that.... It couldn't be liked burned off excess paint or anything like that could it?

Hard to say. If you clean it off and it doesn't return I wouldn't worry about it. How is the FPX working out for you so far?

Burning 24/7 as close to as I can. Went through also 2 full cords so far on second count....I've gotten better at loading it full as long as I have hot coals. Rake hot coals forward took me a bit of time to read and apply that tip...I've found it better to have a small hot fire going for 20 minutes before I load it full on the weekends when we sleep in a bit. Other than that I like it but the biggest thing is I have nothing to compare it to, it's my first insert and my only other exposure were fireplaces and a smoke dragon from the 1970's at my grandmas. I'm keeping the house at 60 and during the day I can get it up to 68 or so, but in this arctic freeze here in upstate NY I've adjusted and tried to burn hotter fires.. Seems like I load about 4-5 times a day. With the wood I have cut at 18" I really struggle to fill the 3.0cu wide and shallow EW firebox.

Looking forward going to have to decide on cutting to 20"-21" for EW or doing like 15-16" for NS. Going to have to experiment a lot. I have plans for a barn/ detached garage and workshop so that may be a chance to buy something like an ideal steel from Woodstock or a jotul or BK or something a free standing stove so I can have something to compare this to in terms of modern EPA...

Status
Not open for further replies.