Seeking Advice on Selecting a Zero Clearance Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FastEddie

Jul 19, 2006
I am in the process of trying to choose a high efficiency, wood burning, zero clearance fireplace, and would appreciate any advice, suggestions and opinions on which brands/models might be the best and which, if any, should be avoided. I already know that I need a large unit, and have been considering such numbers as the Quadra-Fire 7100, Lennox Montecito Estate, Fireplace Xtrordinair 44, Napoleon NZ6000, Vermont Castings Sequoia EWF36, RSF Delta, etc. Any thoughts, good or bad, on these or some other fireplace that should be considered?

First figure out if you want a cat unit or a non cat unit. Then research what type of chimney they take, that is if price is a concern. The only one i have first hand experence with is the quad 7100. Its a beast of a unit and takes fairly inexpensive pipe to install it. FPX has a agreat name as well as RSF. I have never seen the napoleon, but i have never realy been impressed by there other products, nor have i seen the VC, form what i hear there making great improvements the last few years.

All of those brands are of good quality. I'm partial to the FPX & VC since I sell them & neither of them require a really expensive chimney. If memory serves the FPX chimney is around 60 per 4' section and the VC is right around 100.

FastEddie said:
I am in the process of trying to choose a high efficiency, wood burning, zero clearance fireplace, and would appreciate any advice, suggestions and opinions on which brands/models might be the best and which, if any, should be avoided. I already know that I need a large unit, and have been considering such numbers as the Quadra-Fire 7100, Lennox Montecito Estate, Fireplace Xtrordinair 44, Napoleon NZ6000, Vermont Castings Sequoia EWF36, RSF Delta, etc. Any thoughts, good or bad, on these or some other fireplace that should be considered?

Look carefully at the warranty and the dealer/company to back it up. Once something is built-in, it can cost a bundle if something goes wrong.

i have the 7100 and i'm very pleased. i posted ratings on it in the other section of this website. i also posted pics of the finished product. any specific questions, post em and i'll reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.