Seeking Advice on Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AA2

Sep 22, 2018
Maine
Hello, I am looking to purchase a small insert (fireplace depth is only 17"). Considering VC Montpelier or possibly Regency CI1250. I would like to burn bio bricks or a split wood alternative. This is replacing a very old Surdiac Coal stove. Looking for advice... some questions include: advice about potentially proprietary bricks of the VC vs. the Regency.... other inserts to look at.... the Regency does not have a fan unit, is this a major drawback? Other considerations???

Hello, I am looking to purchase a small insert (fireplace depth is only 17"). Considering VC Montpelier or possibly Regency CI1250. I would like to burn bio bricks or a split wood alternative. This is replacing a very old Surdiac Coal stove. Looking for advice... some questions include: advice about potentially proprietary bricks of the VC vs. the Regency.... other inserts to look at.... the Regency does not have a fan unit, is this a major drawback? Other considerations???
The regency does have a fan. There are lots of good inserts out there. Are you specifally looking for a flush insert?

Yes, I am looking for a relatively flush insert.
Just so you know flush inserts can heat well but they are more reliant upon the use of fans