seeking advice: selecting an insert for existing fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieu

Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2010
Washington DC
This is my first post -- I've got a poor drawing fireplace with a brick chimney that a local sweep company judged to need repointing (he said we shouldn't use it at this time). Dimensions of the fireplace box are: 32" wide, 27.5" tall, and goes from 22" deep to 18" deep, narrowing steadily from floor to flu. We've got a gas furnace, and living in the Washington DC area means that we're generally not too cold (tho last year was rough). Our home is approx 1500 sq feet, with stairs to the second floor in the same room as the fireplace.

My wife and I have looked at several stove inserts (jotul, quadrafire, lopi, hearthstone), and are thinking we'd want to have a wood insert and steel liner installed, so we can (1) enjoy the wood fire coziness, (2) heat with an alternative to gas, (3) avoid the smoke we sometimes used to have from our current fireplace (I've got some asthma problems), and (4) take advantage of the tax credit available before the end of the year. We also looked at some pellet options, online, but think we have more and easier access to wood. We want to keep expenses below $4000, and have a very good view into the firebox. We'd also like a top ledge for an iron water pot or for melting cheese sandwiches.

No doubt there are lots of assumptions we're making, above, that we would welcome your thoughts on. I guess the main questions we have are:

-- what size unit would work best (excellent efficiency and longevity, but not overpowering the house)
-- what questions do we need to ask the installation companies as we choose a unit
-- is the catalytic converter better for a small place like ours
-- what makers/units may have the best fire view

Thank you very much for your thoughts and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.