SEF Sold at Bailey's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
Just got around to looking at the latest Bailey's flyer. On the back page is just what I've been hearing about. Whether you have ever had fuel problems or not with your OPE I figure they wouldn't be trying to sell this stuff if there wasn't something to it.

Fuel is about to get WAY worse, going to 15% this year, wait til another year or two when they jump it up to 20-25% ethanol. And BTW, we'll still be paying a PREMIUM for it, even though where only getting 75% gasoline.

Fuel is about to get WAY worse, going to 15% this year, wait til another year or two when they jump it up to 20-25% ethanol. And BTW, we'll still be paying a PREMIUM for it, even though where only getting 75% gasoline.

Don't even get me started. A C

Reactions: ScotO
You could run saws on pure ethanol if the saw was built/tuned for it. It's a matter of following some new rules for the new fuels. Problem is, they keep changing the fuel and telling us that it's fine, no difference, don't worry about it. People blame the issues they're having on the fuel (easy scapegoat) and not on their less than ideal containers and poor storage habits. Much like folks blame problems with their woodstove on the stove and it turns out they're burning green wood (a fuel problem, lol) or they have 5 ft of stovepipe hanging out a window and call it a chimney.

My biggest problem with ethanol-laced gasoline is they are charging us for GASOLINE, when in reality it is partly ethanol. We're paying a premium for only partial gasoline. Its a racket, plain and simple. Lobbyism at its best!

Started on what. If Ethanol is so great than why does Stihl have a web page devoted to basically warning owners of it and ways to protect your saw against it. I mean the rest of us obviously don't know sqwat so is the mfg full of it too?
http://www.stihlusa.com/information/gasoline-guidelines.html

Ethanol is not great wkpoor, the stuff is a pita. FWIW ethanol isn't the only problem with modern fuels. They lack lubricity, many make less power per gallon, the octane ratings are fudged to some extent due to the ethanol content.
Yes I also agree with scotty on the racket part, but that's probably a good topic for the "can".

MM is right, an engine designed to burn alcohol will do just fine, ever watch a topfuel dragster runnin nitro methane? Put a tank of AV or marine fuel in your truck & compare the mileage to a tank of pump gas, you will see & feel the difference. Just don't run too much or the lead content will screw with injectors.

Oh yeah, & lets not forget what burning a staple food, plus planting more corn for profit, & less other crops does to food prices. I really wonder what would happen if we actually produced & used domestic oil from shale & other sources, + God forbid build a pipeline to transport the stuff. Might help the economy a little.

From what I've read & talked to Stihl reps about, they've spent a pile of time & money researching ethanol, & wouldn't make the recommendations they do for no reason.

Bottom line, some of this is opinion based experience, some pretty well documented fact. I will not run standard e 10 or e 15 in my small equipment. If I want water I'll get it from the tap, not the gas pump. A C

Reactions: ScotO and wkpoor
The only reason i like E fuel blend is because it makes me $$$$$$ working on small engines. Its more of a problem when your trying to use older fuel(4to6wks) that has been left not air tight. Yes MM is right if a saw is tuned right(bigger jets ect) it can run E-85 if you want. I have a friend who builds Yamaha banshee motors for drag racing. He just completed a motor to run E-85 and it made more HP than running race fuel.

Rob

The real problem is the theory that the ethanol is better for emissions. You burn more fuel once the ethanol is added, which all but negates the petrol that is displaced by the corn. Plus we can't eat the corn when it is burned. Definitely politics and payoffs.

The real problem is the theory that the ethanol is better for emissions. You burn more fuel once the ethanol is added, which all but negates the petrol that is displaced by the corn. Plus we can't eat the corn when it is burned. Definitely politics and payoffs.
I'm giving a big +1 to this. you nailed it right on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.