1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Selecting a humidifier

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by save$, Jan 9, 2013.

1. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    I currently am running two humidifiers. Both hold a couple gallons and need to be filled twice daily. I've seen a couple of floor models on Sears.com that hold about 12-14 gallons. Anyone with experience with these lager models? How easy are they to clean?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I own a large Lasco (under 5 gallons total) and it needs filled daily. Keeps the house about 40%-45% (give or take)

Looking forward to this thread. As I am looking to upgrade myself.

I like the units with removables containers to fill (My Lasko has one, and its 1.5 gallons)
  3. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I have an old Sears console humidifier. It holds two containers of water, similar to this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03215420000P

I have an older analog model of this. The fan makes a bit of noise, even on low, since it wants to move a lot of air to get the whole house humidified.

I use bacteriostat in it, and it never smells. I clean it at the end of the season, and the water is not swampy or slimy.

The two water "jugs" are easy to fill at the sink. I'm not generally a fan of Sears, but I do like this machine. It's at least ten years old and still going. It runs almost constantly since I try to keep the humidity up, and it has 2400 sq.ft. to do.
  4. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    I have one, and it does a great job. I lucked out and got one new off ebay for $16.00 + $16.00 shipping. $32.00 total a few years back. Does the whole house with the open floor plan here.
    Right now, I feel the tank(s) every few days. Once it really dries out, I'll fill once a day or every other day.
  5. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I'm running a vaporizer in the den (sleeping there currently, soon to change), runs for 8 hours on 2 gallons. Works for me currently.

Huge difference in the humidity levels.

Been checking out the whole house units. Would love more input on them.