self cleaning Catalysts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I have taken my stove apart once this season to clean the cats. That was about a month ago. Since then, on more than one occasion I have noticed the cats looking a little dirty and clogged. on occasions where I have let the stove burn down to nearly nothing, I will open it up for a few minutes, and give the cats a blow with canned air. I'm carefull not to put the nozzle too close so as to avoid supercooling the substrate. that removes dust/ash but the hard stuff stays on there. When I get the stove up to hot, it seems to burn the krud off and they fire right back up. my left one is kind of bad right now. I'm not sure it's firing. I'm gonna have to let the stove die down pretty much at some pointand blow it out in hopes that that's all it needs. otherwise I'll have to do a dissasemble. much sooner than I had planed. The right one was glowing bright a little while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.