Selkirk Class A to DSP?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shub

Nov 4, 2011
Southern Maine
I just had a wood stove installed, connecting to my Class A Selkirk Chimney. The stove is top vent, then an elbow into a Selkirk wall thimble. The chimney installer left a DSAC connector for me to connect my stove. It would appear the DSAC connector would only be to connect single wall stove pipe. I called him up, and told him I wanted to use Double Wall, and he said double wall stove pipe will just slide over the DSAC connector, since double wall is just two different diameters of stove pipe.

Well, when the certified installers showed up, they said that wasn't going to fly for them to install the stove legally. Long story short, they special ordered a double wall stove pipe which sort of tapers on the end and I am assuming (but I don't know) at the end, the two layers of the pipe are crimped by the manufacturer to be a smaller diameter at the connector. I am sort of bummed about this setup because the pipe isn't so attractive, it has lots of joints and ribbing. Plus, they cemented the elbow to my chimney thimble, so it's going to be hard to disassemble and clean (but maybe that's protocol, I am new to this).

I'd like to redo the chimney connector if possible with the traditional DSP, that's just two different diameters of stove pipe nested inside one another. But I wanted to know if that's against code to slide the DSP elbow over the DSAC connector.

DSP should include a finishing bands for the connections, which clean things up a lot. It's also required for the reduced clearance of double walled pipe. You can buy them separately, they're pretty inexpensive.

I just wasn't sure if the Selkirk twist on connector was safe to use as a transition between the single wall and double wall, while maintaining the close clearances.

The DSAC adapter is for single wall only according to the Selkirk catalog. I think you need to have theCPA adapter, but I don't have personal experience with this pipe.

Call 800.992.8368 to confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.