Selkirk Telescoping DSP allowing water to run onto stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aranyic

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2015
Ohio
Quick question I installed a new stove and went from single wall to double wall stove pipe over the summer. I went with a single piece of selkirk telescopic DSP (same as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043A6SU4/?tag=hearthamazon-20) and installed it.

We had a couple pretty good storms over last month and when I was back cleaning up around the stove noticed a small amount of rust along the collar. Looked up the pipe and you can see where a small line of water had run down the lower portion of the telescoping pipe. When I put it on I almost put it in upside down in order to have the pipe run into each other like the single wall was and any condensation would run down into the stove. This is clearly marked with an 'UP' arrow and I installed per that though.

Today I went ahead and got the stove adapter thinking maybe that would solve it but in looking at it I still don't see how once water makes it to the outside of the pipe that will funnel it back in. Can I flip the pipe over? Or am I worrying too much about it.

We do have a cap on the top of the chimney but there will just be times when it's blowing sideways that there's not much you can do about some rain getting in and running down. I really don't want it running onto the stove if I can help it.

Any tips/suggestions on it are appreciated.

The inner liner of the stove pipe is still running the correct way. You cant turn it over.

Rain blowing in the cap would make its way into the stove, not between the walls of the double wall pipe. It could be condensation but I doubt it. What brand and model of chimney do you have?

I've got Selkirk class a chimney also going through the roof, attic then to a slip connector through the cieling. I did go into the attic and fine a line or two where water at some point tan ran down the outside of the class a in the attic (or just condensation?) and then down past the metal top of the support box. But that doesn't really make sense to me either.

I can see the line where the water came out of the top half of the slip joint and then down onto the lower half? Again not talking puddles but enough to cause a spot of rust a little bigger than a half dollar over the past 6 months.

90777e3d83dc2f7be881e4012dc5efb9.jpgce56ba87261bb8c8e4ee974ea97a5955.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You need to caulk the seams in the class A pipe. I've seen this a lot, the newer pipe from Selkirk (the TLC line) has welded seams. The rep knew of the issue and agreed that caulking was was needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks, it would be a vertical seam on the back face of the pipe that I'm looking to do correct? Do I need to go high temp or can I use a high quality clear silicone.

Our house had older Selkirk chimney pipe that weeped moisture in heavy rain. I ran a bead of silicone down the vertical seam of the lower pipe above the storm collar and that ended the problem.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll get up tonight after the wife gets home and take care of it. The roof pitch is steep enough that I like to keep someone else around while I'm up on that part of it.

Got the bottom two pieces of pipe done, so half the chimney. Hopefully that takes care of it. Never been a fan of heights, getting better with them but the 12 pitch roof has me feeling like I'm sliding the entire time.

I have the exact same setup as you and experienced the exact same problem. I called the professional that installed it. He siliconed everything as stated above. Problem solved.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.