selling my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rich2500

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Berks County PA.
I still have a small single burner Jungers In cold storage but might have to move it to garage if the oil prices get any lower. Diesel yesterday at the pump was 1.86.

I can't believe they list a dealer on Cape Cod ! That thing has to be illegal in the state of Ma. I know kerosene heaters are.

It is a vented heater. Kerosene heaters got a very bad rap because they were not vented and smelled etc

• Efficiency: 82%
  • Heating Capacity: 2000-3000 ft2
  • Flue Size: 4"
  • Width: 14"
  • Height: 28"
  • Depth: 14"
  • Weight: 125 lbs
  • No Frills Superior Quality Heating
  • Dual Wall Vaporizing Burner
  • UL Listed for Safety
  • Double Wall Design for low Clearances
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
  • Approved for use in Manufactured Homes
  • 8" or 10" Burn Pot Options
  • Outside Air Ready
  • Burns #1 or #2 Grade Fuels
  • No Electricity Required to Operate

NOW I am interested...

All of a sudden pellet heat is becoming the bad guy. How quick things change ! Hah, if it's not one industry it's another it seems.

I do like the concept of this oil heater but I already have an oil fired boiler and this heater is too expensive to be a part time heater for my basement work shop.

If I was adding a second stove that's the stove I would buy,oil prices go low, fire up the oil stove,oil prices go high fire up the Pellet stove,they both go high well then your SOL.

That stove is attractive as an alternative source of heat during extended power outages. And, if you can hook it to DHW holding tank, it would be even better. Not getting rid of my pellet stoves, but my propane boiler is old enough that it should have been replaced way before I even bought this place and I'm starting to think on how I'm going to replace it (and the hot water heater too) in the next couple of years.

That stove is attractive as an alternative source of heat during extended power outages. And, if you can hook it to DHW holding tank, it would be even better. Not getting rid of my pellet stoves, but my propane boiler is old enough that it should have been replaced way before I even bought this place and I'm starting to think on how I'm going to replace it (and the hot water heater too) in the next couple of years.
One thing for sure it seems propane isn't your answer in your area Bogie. Maybe just an oil fired boiler with DHW coil inside ? Nothing seems stable on pricing does it when you dump the propane burner you have now ? Right now oil is falling and I imagine you don't have NG in your area but that has been about the most stable.

Reactions: bogieb
One thing for sure it seems propane isn't your answer in your area Bogie. Maybe just an oil fired boiler with DHW coil inside ? Nothing seems stable on pricing does it when you dump the propane burner you have now ? Right now oil is falling and I imagine you don't have NG in your area but that has been about the most stable.
You are correct - no NG in the area. I am thinking it would be nice to get rid of FHW altogether. It would give me a lot more options for remodeling my house; not having to work around all the water pipe in the basement and fins on the main floor. Possibly even put in electric just because it wouldn't be my main source of heat anyway. FHA is not an option, so know that is out, but just tossing ideas around in my head.

You are correct - no NG in the area. I am thinking it would be nice to get rid of FHW altogether. It would give me a lot more options for remodeling my house; not having to work around all the water pipe in the basement and fins on the main floor. Possibly even put in electric just because it wouldn't be my main source of heat anyway. FHA is not an option, so know that is out, but just tossing ideas around in my head.
I don't know, someone would have to do some serious yacking and throw in a bridge or two to convince me on electric heat. Your hot water system is in place too, just toss in a new boiler ( just thinking out loud).

I don't know, someone would have to do some serious yacking and throw in a bridge or two to convince me on electric heat. Your hot water system is in place too, just toss in a new boiler ( just thinking out loud).
Yeah, I keep coming back to the fact that it would be a real pain to remove everything and it would be much simpler to install a new boiler. Just my house is small, and so cut up, that any room I can gain would be great. Especially in the kitchen since it is currently 7.5' x 8' and there is no way to expand it because the next wall over has 6' of water fins on it so that extra couple of feet is basically unusable.

Also, even if I stay with FHW, I need to move the boiler. Between it and the hot water heater (plus the screwed up pipes in between - I could have done better, and I know nothing!) almost 50 sq/ft of my 650 sq/ft basement is in use. Of course if I ever build a detached garage, I would gain the space taken up by the under-house garage, so it wouldn't be such a big deal. Aack, I'm one of those people that over-thinks everything and my mind chases itself in circles for weeks or months before I can come to a decision. But, I have at least 6 months (or at least I hope I do), so will mull it over and over and over :p

I appreciate your input - it is nice to get someone else's viewpoint to counter my bullheadedness!

If you combine the hot water into the new boiler with a tankless coil that will nix the existing hot water heater that is sucking propane ( well sipping really). Just sayin. So you have one boiler move, one hot water heater dicarding. Obviously a plumber is involved, they make pretty easy work of moving a couple of pipes around. Just a thought. Here I am gabbing away and I don't even really know your layout or situation, Hah. I'm far from trying to talk you into anything but it just is what makes sense in my head, not knowing anything either LOL.

If I'm reading you right, that 6 ft wall you might like to put cabinets or something there ? Then talk to the guys about pulling out that baseboard and putting in a kicker under the cabinet. They work pretty well, we have one in our kitchen extension.

Last edited:
I've had the type of boiler you are talking about and it heated my basement during the summer. Since I don't have AC, that is a bad thing. Add in the humidity and it is a killer. We replaced the system after 20 years and added a holding tank - much better. However, that was almost 10 years ago, so maybe they have gotten better since then. Plus, only 1 person now, so that would cut down on how much it would run.

Thinking more on electric, that would probably get way expensive just for install as I would probably need a new circuit box. Currently at 100 amp, with all circuits taken. See - just talking this out with you makes thing clearer in my mind.

Gotta think more on a new boiler and take into serious consideration the tankless coil.

I've had the type of boiler you are talking about and it heated my basement during the summer. Since I don't have AC, that is a bad thing. Add in the humidity and it is a killer. We replaced the system after 20 years and added a holding tank - much better. However, that was almost 10 years ago, so maybe they have gotten better since then. Plus, only 1 person now, so that would cut down on how much it would run.

Thinking more on electric, that would probably get way expensive just for install as I would probably need a new circuit box. Currently at 100 amp, with all circuits taken. See - just talking this out with you makes thing clearer in my mind.

Gotta think more on a new boiler and take into serious consideration the tankless coil.
I think you will find that the new boilers can be had fairly well insulated. Ours is about 7 years old now and compared with the old boiler I don't get any heat in the basement in the winter. The old boiler spilled enough heat so things wouldn't freeze up ( also not a good thing in it's own way but good in another). I think you will find that too, it can be set up so as to not maintain hot water but just run on demand, be that for the house or for the bath water etc (domestic). Ours is set up to just run on demand. But I'm a great one to talk because we have propane hot water (it was the wife's thing). Anyway our boiler doesn't maintain 180 deg water inside it, well this time of year it sort of ends up that way because of heating the attached apartment and heat cycle are just close enough together that it doesn't lose it's temp.

That is good info - didn't know it could be set for on demand instead of continuous availability.

That is good info - didn't know it could be set for on demand instead of continuous availability.
Bogie, the new boilers are fairly small for the BTU but it's really the controller installed that determines the kind of output. Todays controllers can be programmed for either type of output.

The Toe Kick is good to know about as well, you could lose that strip of baseboard heat perhaps. Toe Kicks are powered units, they work kind of like the heater in your car having a coil or core if you will, inside and then a fan to blow the heat into the room. These are plumbed right in line or in place of conventional strip baseboard heat. They are ideal to " kick up" the heat in a confined area like you speak of. They fit in or under a cabinet. When the heat cycles on and meets a certain preset temp at the Kicker, the fan will kick on automatically and distribute heat to your area.

Also there are on demand hot water heaters available separate from conventional hot water hearters or from a boiler unit. Some even under cabinet models. Probably expensive but worth investigating.

I had forgotten about the toe kicks. I happened to see one at a BBS when I was looking for other stuff and filed it away in the back of my mind. Obviously my mind has a huge sink hole in it as I am forever losing stuff there ;em

Reactions: alternativeheat
Status
Not open for further replies.