Selling Rangeley and getting Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to warn you, the fireview is still a big heater. Being a cat and soapstone though I think it will give you some room on the bottom end that the rangeley might not have had.

As far as what the stove is worth, if it's still in pristine condition (as I'd guess it is unless you let water boil all over it or something) then you should be able to get 1/2 for it easily. If you are willing to sit on it for a bit, you may be able to get more.

Wish I was closer. Well, just for buying the stove that is.

I am running a little short on stoves. ;em

Reactions: pen
Stove should be worth at least 75%. More in the fall if there is a price hike. Consider the Keystone for a slightly smaller but perhaps better fit.

I'll trade you a Heritage for a Rangeley?

It about a 2.8 cu ft fire box, right? How many hours will that sucker stay over 300 degree?

Yes, it makes sense. Longer, clean burns at a low setting is a cat stove strength.

From the sound of things a Keystone would to the job, especially if insulation is improved this summer.

I think the Fireview would be fine. You can fill the fire box up with good hardwood and get consistant 12+ hour burns and the heat won't be as intense as your current stove. Even if you find a full load too much heat which I don't think you will, you can do 1/2 or 3/4 loads and still get an overnight burn.

I can also get 12 hour burns with the Keystone but 10 hours is more consistant. The heat output difference between the two is really not that much in the low burn mode but the Fireview will pump out a little more heat for longer because it holds a little more wood.

Another option would be the new 1.8 cu ft Blaze King that claims 20 hour burns.

Sounds like you need to learn to operate the woodstove you have, or you will be selling a woodstove every spring for 1/2 price. Probably would be cheaper for you to just use the Furnace.

Sounds like you need to learn to operate the woodstove you have, or you will be selling a woodstove every spring for 1/2 price. Probably would be cheaper for you to just use the Furnace.

I disagree with this completely. There is no indication that Bub isn't running the stove properly.

I disagree with this completely. There is no indication that Bub isn't running the stove properly.

Good buy a new stove every Spring sounds like a plan, The real test in running a woodstove is keeping house comfortable during sholder season and mild winters.

But the heck with that just get a new one every year. Or get a different house every year while your at it.

Good buy a new stove every Spring sounds like a plan, The real test in running a woodstove is keeping house comfortable during sholder season and mild winters.

But the heck with that just get a new one every year. Or get a different house every year while your at it.

When the owner is getting over heated when the stove is over 400 degrees, it is over-sized. Not much can be done to fix that. At no point in this thread was the owner talking about 'shoulder season.'

What's confusing me here is why the need for such a low temp for such a long time. Does the house temp drop like a rock if the stove goes stone cold for a few hours? Why not just build a small hot fire once in the morning and once in the evening?

If you are expecting to keep the house temps right at a X temp at all times, that's just plain hard with a wood stove.

pen

Reactions: cptoneleg
I can dig the switch. A stone cat stove is going to take the large swing out of the temperature cycle. With a better sized stove, there will be less frequent feeding, longer burn cycles, more even temps and cleaner burning. Nothing wrong with that plan.

That is about the same size space Backwoods Savage heats with a Fireview. Not sure he feels about the stove though. >>

Some like it hot!

Yeah Bub that is a lot of wood stove for that space. Even in Maine and with bad insulation. You need something that can put out even heat at a lower burn rate than that bad boy can. In that space I would be giving the Keystone a long hard look.

Bub, you will be very happy if and when you do the insulation. It is difficult for us to make some comparisons with our stove and house because we added a lot of insulation this past summer plus new doors and windows. We also made a small addition. The first 4 years we burned the Fireview we averaged 3 cord per year. So far this year we've burned around 2 cord. We'll burn some more yet (tonight and tomorrow night below freezing) for sure but not another cord.

So how did the insulation work? For sure it is very good. It cut out the drafts. A warm winter for sure but we filled the stove probably 15 times is all this winter. Put simply, we did not need the heat. Most nights we'd put in 3 or 4 splits and go to bed. Naturally there was only coals in the morning but the house was warm.

One thing you will find with the Fireview is that you can burn the stove hotter...but you won't be so uncomfortable. They talked about a "soft heat" with this stove and I scoffed. However, I come to learn what they meant. There really is a difference in the heat.

I've stated before that when we got the Fireview, we burned about half the wood we used to and stayed a whole lot warmer. The fact that we've cleaned our chimney once in 5 years is just one more bonus.

For any others thinking about a new stove, remember too that Woodstock has that money back guarantee and they also are second to none in the customer service department.

3 say the Keystone now.I'm not gonna get my over night burn with the size stove i need am i?The thing is with insulating this place the vinyl siding has to come off then cut through the clapboards and then the big thing is that this house has some braces in the corners that wont allow insulation in and i think it also had horizontal braces in certain places in the walls.We had the pressure test done that showed ya the temp differences in the wall.Also we took a certain section out of an outside wall and it was made out of 2x4's laid flat.Now that is a wall 1 3/4" to 2" thick.I should look for an estimate.Also if we do get another stove (which i believe we'll have to) other brands would be considered.

Go with the keystone. It should give you 8-10 hour burns which should work for overnight burns and work schedules. Buy it in October so you can take advantage of the six month return policy. You live close enough that if the stove is too small you can easily return it and exchange it for a Fireview.

List the Jotul for about $1,500 on Craigslist.

If the wife likes the Fireview get it! With that Woodstock sale going on now you could just about get a new Fireview for the Jotul sale price. .

I would get the fireview, small fires, long burn times soft heat with the soapstone, happy wife, sounds like your ticket.

If the wife likes the Fireview get it! With that Woodstock sale going on now you could just about get a new Fireview for the Jotul sale price. .

Didn't his wife also like the Rangeley?

I just think it makes more sense to go with the smaller stove in this instance with the option of returning it for the larger stove if needed due to his location.

I forgot to add that we went to the Woodstock stove company thursday.I thought the stoves were bigger than they actually were.The PH is about the size of this Rangeley.Good sized stove.That soapstone feels odd.The countertop was unbelievable,she's still drooling.lolThe old lady likes the Fireview something awful but we can't make this same mistake twice.That money back guarantee is awesome though.Being our first yr burning it was hard to size a stove but i think we're closing in on it.Just scared of goin too small though too big isn't all that great either.

Bub, first on the insulation. We had our place insulated and then the same fellow did another job for Pallet Pete. It is a foam insulation and what they do is turn a bunch of woodpeckers loose to drill some holes all over. They just remove small pieces of siding to do this. That foam fills and expands and not only does it give great insulation, it also is great for a sound blocker.

It is great that you went to Woodstock to actually see the stoves and yes, the counter tops too. I have to tell you my first thought when I saw the Fireview. "You mean to tell me that little thing will heat our home?! Crazy!" Well, that little thing is heating our home very nicely. I also agree with your wife and feel the Fireview is the best looking stove. It will look just like a piece of furniture in the summer months when you are not using it. It just fits right in.

The fireview is a bit larger than the Keystone to give an extra 10,000 btu and a bit longer burn times. It is a heavy beast but we found no problem in moving it and even lifting up onto the raised hearth (16") we built. As for the raised hearth, we really like it a lot. It brings the stove up to a better viewing height and also allows us to sit while putting wood in. When we sit down, the firebox door is just at the right height, otherwise we'd be doing a lot of bending while putting wood in, cleaning ashes or even cleaning the glass, which doesn't need cleaning very often and then only for fly ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.