Semi Off Topic: Jump Starters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2013
SouthCoast Region, MA
Trying to tie this in to wood stoves :) I have a tow-behind log splitter I tow with my 2008 8cyl Tundra.

The other day, I had the ignition in the accessory spot and was listening to the radio while working outside. After a while, I stopped noticing the radio. Eventually when I did notice the radio, I noticed it wasn't on. Turns out I drained the battery, and I had to call for a jump. (I've known for a while that somewhere I have a small drain, I use a different vehicle as my daily commuter, so oftentimes the Tundra will sit unused for several weeks, and on more than one occasion the battery has been drained enough to require me to use my charger at home to get the truck started.)

I want to buy a jump-pack to leave in the truck. The truck (4wd 5.7L w/ 10k lb tow package and cold weather package) currently has a Duralast Gold battery with 750 CCA. Viewing packs online though, they all refer to "peak amps", and very few refer to the CCA capability of the pack. The few that do, seem woefully underrated at 300-400 CCA.

Anyone have thoughts on an adequately sized pack (preferably one with power take offs so I could charge, say, my cell phone if I needed to), or, how the hell do I convert "peak amps" into something meaningful that I can compare to the existing battery for my truck. I'm thinking worst-case scenario where I need to give myself a jump in 0 degree weather in February when I'm not home.

Thanky.

All consumer jump start packs have between 300 and 500 CCA
This is to keep the cost down where a consumer can and will buy
there product , Commercial start packs have up to 1500 CCW
but the cost of the unit is prohibitive .
Why not have the drain (short) found and repaired more cost effective
Full draining and recharging of a battery shortens its life

Yeah, you'll hafta spend a lil more to get one that has a chance of starting your truck. I have one that is rated at ~350amps and it barely started my 3.0 V6, and my battery wasn't even completely dead...and it was summertime. Just a heads up, make sure you get one that can be left plugged in. Some will overcharge if left on the charger all the time, most of the better ones will not. It's hard to tell sometimes, they don't always tell you that, you almost hafta download the owners manual to find out about full time charging.
On my first one I thought I would just plug it in for a maintenance charge once a month...I eventually forgot and over time the jumpers battery went bad. If you leave it in the truck all the time it will be dead when you need it

I have several vehicles that sit for months at a time and often are dead when I want them. The simplest thing I have found to deal with this is to install a batter disconnect. When I want to start them, I connect the disconnect, run them, and then when I park them, disconnect the battery. It takes a matter of seconds to connect or disconnect. Has worked for me for years.

Reactions: Babaganoosh
I have had the same problem with vehicles that drain the battery after prolonged sitting,what I found is if you set the alarm it pulls a lot more off the battery. When I lock up the vehicle with out setting the alarm I don't have the battery drain problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.