Separate the oak and the mixed, right? (Buying two cords)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Last year we bought 1/2 cord of "mixed hardwood" from a local lumberyard/firewood dealer. It was good stuff, definitely dry, burned great, fair amount of poplar but we had no complaints except a few pcs were a little long. It was definitely at least half a cord, maybe more.

We are running low now and have a woodshed this year so I am buying two cords from them now, one of the mixed, and one of the oak only (which is $50 a cord more). They left a msg asking if it was OK to dump it together. I kinda hoped it would be separate, seeing as we haven't gotten oak from them before and I'm not totally sure if it will be quite as ready to burn, though I hope it is. Should I tell them yes, i really want them to separate it, or not make them do it and perhaps they will give me more oak or something in their good will?

These guys sold my neighbor two cords of the oak for the price of the mixed a couple weeks ago, but won't give me the same deal. Bummer.

Be careful of what you buy. Usually, I scrounge. But, I bought wood the first year I installed the insert. The wood was described as "oak", but was really mixed wood. Since it was a mixture of oak, mulberry and a small amount of poplar, the transaction turned out OK.

I would tell the guy what your plans are and no doubt he will separate it for you. If not, it is not that difficult to separate it as you are stacking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.