Septic inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Varies with the state.

We paid for ours. Even paid to have it pumped out so they could inspect it properly. Luckily everything was good and we ended up buying the house.

Reactions: septicworksllc0
As mentioned... it depends.

Around here in MA no sale can proceed without a full inspection bank or not.

Yes it depends in different places.

Here you don’t need inspection at least for conventional or fha. You can ask the seller to pay for inspection or closing costs but that just puts you at a disadvantage to the next person in line. I was already preapproved and jumped on it the same day it was listed and waived everything or I would have lost it. Anything that needed fixed I’d have to do anyway. (Besides at my old house the inspector told me the roof was good, the ceiling caved in a few months later.) With someone living here it was clear that everything worked at least good enough to get started. Around here the supply/demand ratio is razor thin. Even before the pandemic. The appraiser basically appraised it for the preapproval amount and said there weren’t really any listings around here to compare it to.

Later I learned that the septic here is a bit undersized and a document from 30 years prior said if the system failed it would have to be upgraded. So taking care of it is of utmost importance. I also had to fix/replace more things in the first year than I ever did in my old house, but that was all doable, just getting the house was the main thing.

Last edited:
As mentioned... it depends.

Around here in MA no sale can proceed without a full inspection bank or not.

Perhaps I misspoke.

An inspection is required in Ohio as well. I felt it best to have it pumped out for inspection to ensure the system was up to snuff.

On the other hand....The inspector told me if it ever had problems, just run it over the hill.
So there is that.

That was early in my introduction to country living.