Serious Blaze King problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have air leaks. Reduced many with new windows, tyvek & vinyl siding few years ago.
But if I didn't, I'd need to get external air in somehow.
Not a problem yet but I do have a few more things I'll beef up this spring. (so i'll have to watch fire performance)
Just been warm (compared to the norm) the past few weeks. ( & I like it :) )
Warm as compared to Fairbanks at -20f (we've been 60 °f warmer, 40°F highs for few days here)
But that can change anytime.

Dave, we are 34F again today. 7F at night and above freezing in the day. Almost enough sun load in the day to carry through the night with out a fire every second day now. :roll: This is only Feb and the Yukon Quest hasnt made it into town yet. Go figure. Cord #5 just started. 2 less than last year at this time. The Polar bears will be sweating early this year.

I'm pulling for Mackey
He has 10 dogs, with a 1 minute lead, with 250 miles to go
but the warm weather is going to slow everybody down.

Only 5+ cords for one winter, WOW, Good stove with good wood.

Polar bears will be sweating early this year. LOL

ecocavalier02 said:
my goal is to do what you are doing as well on the outside of the house with the foam and then side over it. hopefully with in the next couple years.

Hearing what these guys further north get away with burning in a year led me to rethink the shell. We aren't going anywhere so I don't mind making the investment as I will get the benefit in wood handling for a long time.

SolarAndWood said:
ecocavalier02 said:
my goal is to do what you are doing as well on the outside of the house with the foam and then side over it. hopefully with in the next couple years.

Hearing what these guys further north get away with burning in a year led me to rethink the shell. We aren't going anywhere so I don't mind making the investment as I will get the benefit in wood handling for a long time.

Good idea. Also check for local & federal tax incentives.
It helped me when I bought the new stove & did some other work on the house.
I'm pretty sure there are some federal incentives there for 2010.

bogydave said:
SolarAndWood said:
ecocavalier02 said:

Good idea. Also check for local & federal tax incentives.
It helped me when I bought the new stove & did some other work on the house.
I'm pretty sure there are some federal incentives there for 2010.

how much $ you pay for your stove and where did you buy it, im ready to upgrade my old blaze king- non cat king
this summer! im in alaska too! i would like the king cat ultra!

My wood consumption just for the last three weeks that ive had the blaze king is already in half from what i normally use. I would use about 3 cord a year before. So i think ill probaly have it down to at least just two cords a year now if not less. So hopeflly as well by tightening up the house even more it will be even less.

its alaskan and proud. i seen down by the port they were selling the king ultra cat for 3200 with no tax, i hear they charge tax out there where you buy?

greythorn3 said:
its alaskan and proud. i seen down by the port they were selling the king ultra cat for 3200 with no tax, i hear they charge tax out there where you buy?
Good price, about 20¢/lb
Installed yet?

im still using my old king, im looking for a better price!

Heres a ? For u guys. I just lost power for bout ten minutes but was wondering is the thermostat have to have power to work or does it close when u turn the dial. ?

Tstat doesn't need power but I wondered what would happen if you had the fans on high and lost power...pretty much a non-event even with a full load of small pine splits at high burn. The tstat dialed the fire right back when I pulled the plug on the fans in remarkably little time.

greythorn3 said:
im still using my old king, im looking for a better price!

The store N of Wasilla may have a sale. Maybe no tax there, may be outside city limits, but I think tax is maxed at $15.
Long $30 drive for you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.