Setting draft on harman advance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
i have a magnahelic gauge for my vf55 but it only goes from 0 to .25 which is sufficent for setting the draft on that stove.....reading the manual for the advance the draft setting is .5 to .6 on high and .25 to .35 on low
what is everyone using to set the draft on a harman.im looking at some on ebay.should i get 0 to .5 or 0 to1

i have a magnahelic gauge for my vf55 but it only goes from 0 to .25 which is sufficent for setting the draft on that stove.....reading the manual for the advance the draft setting is .5 to .6 on high and .25 to .35 on low
what is everyone using to set the draft on a harman.im looking at some on ebay.should i get 0 to .5 or 0 to1
A lot of people like the Dwyer, it's not fancy but works. It goes from .005-1 and is $37 at Amazon. If you are a prime member it ships for free.

Very few people have the ability to set the draft on a Harman. You should have a DDM (Harman diagnostic tool) as well as your gauge.

Last edited:
Let me qualify that...I meant to say you "should" have a DDM but it's not necessary. The reason I say that is that you would want to watch the line voltage as you are adjusting the draft and a DDM is preferred, although you could probably use a voltmeter on the combustion blower connections. You can only adjust low draft on a Harman and the most the fan can be adjusted is about 10 volts. This is done with a set screw on the CB on newer stoves.

Dwyer 2001.Ebay,cheap,work well.Do not trust eyeball unless you have run same stove at least 3 seasons.However harmans not very fussy as they use and exhaust probe system.But do remember at least 2 installs posted here last winter where the problems were too much air,too much draft,perhaps from tall insulated stacks? do not remember now,but what they needed was a tailoring valve on the intake air.I believe one was a harman.If harman added variable speed to their exhaust would be great,but also a lot more programming,more expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.