Settle a bet on combustion and room air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmsm

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
South of Boston MA
A buddy of mine insists that outside air is for combustion only and the room air is drawn from the room. It is my understanding that once an OAK is installed ALL air is from the OAK. Who is right?

He is. If you were drawing outside air for the room air blower the joint would never warm up.

A buddy of mine insists that outside air is for combustion only and the room air is drawn from the room. It is my understanding that once an OAK is installed ALL air is from the OAK. Who is right?

depends on the stove , some units have an "OAK" connection on the outside of the unit that once you look inside of the cabinet there is a gap between the connector in the back and the firebox so air would be spilled into the back of the stove causing the room air blower to pick some of it up (never did understand why anyone would set up a stove that way)

our units all have sealed path intakes so all of the OAK air goes only to the firebox

He is. If you were drawing outside air for the room air blower the joint would never warm up.
Thank you I stand corrected, sad thing is my dealer was the one that gave me my understanding.

depends on the stove , some units have an "OAK" connection on the outside of the unit that once you look inside of the cabinet there is a gap between the connector in the back and the firebox so air would be spilled into the back of the stove causing the room air blower to pick some of it up (never did understand why anyone would set up a stove that way)

our units all have sealed path intakes so all of the OAK air goes only to the firebox
You are very right,which is why I do not have an oak on my old integra,but a member here just put in an old integra he rebuilt and added a connector to cover the gap,making it a true sealed system.Seems to be working ok.If it pans out over the winter,may convert mine.

Reactions: pinetop12
What were the stakes? My hubby had to settle a recent bet with a bottle of Gentleman Jack. ;lol

Bragging rights only....

On my Quads, if you hooked OAK to the supplied hole in the back and not thought didn't think about what you were doing, Mike's right if you don't think about what's happening. I ran flex THROUGH the hole and over to the hole in the ash pan area. Why they put the two holes on opposite sides of the stove only a Chinaman knows! It made for some tight bends. If I had put the OAK on from the start, I would have taken a hole saw to the back plate.

Your buddy's right, why would you suck 6 degree air into your room blower and hope it would be 90 degrees when it came out of the stove???

NOTE: That must have been some good bourbon last night! ;em

Last edited:
funny thing is that my dealer did not disagree with me when I stated my theory. My biggest compulsion for wanting to run my OA all the way up was that before buying my house the previous owner had cooked in the fireplace, this created an awful smokey smell when I would have a fire in the fireplace. My fear was that if I sucked OA as per the Harman manual I would get the smokey smell in the room. The dealer did take the extra step and verify my setup was ok in Harman's eyes before selling/installing the stove.
Worse than owing my buddy a beer, I now have to listen to him..........All in good fun....

On my Quads, if you hooked OAK to the supplied hole in the back and not thought about what you were doing, Mike's right if you don't think about what's happening. I ran flex THROUGH the hole and over to the hole in the ash pan area. Why they put the two holes on opposite sides of the stove only a Chinaman knows! It made for some tight bends. If I had put the OAK on from the start, I would have taken a hole saw to the back plate.

Your buddy's right, why would you suck 6 degree air into your room blower and hope it would be 90 degrees when it came out of the stove???
6 degrees? Your lucky, -27F here this morning without wind.

he's in Georgia, +6 F is just a wee bit colder than it normally gets down there
I am sure some of our members from Alaska an Canada are enjoying some sub zero weather as well. I had 3 pellet stoves running at the same time this morning. Glad all were filled an cleaned last week.

he's in Georgia, +6 F is just a wee bit colder than it normally gets down there
That's for SURE, Mike!!!! People are leaving their cars running in parking lots while they scramble to buy up the last of the milk and bread AND Moon Pies. :) And it's still 33! I have to laugh at them because my hometown is in Pa and I've lived in Chicago. Tonight it will be 7 degrees so that IS cold down here considering that they bury their water pipes at the most a foot underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.