Several questions regarding a Kozyheat Z42 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
First of all, I'm new here. I just found this site a couple days ago after seeing it referenced on arboristsite. I'm looking to install a zc fireplace in my existing home to help with my outrageous heating bills. Last year they peaked just under $400/month (electric strip heat). After much research and looking around the web and 2 fireplace stores in town I think I've settled on the Kozyheat z42 cd.

I don't have the stove yet because I want to check here and make sure I have everything all straightened out first. I plan to install the fireplace and all related needs myself. I have a store near me that carries them and his price seems to be inline with all others that I've contacted ($2500 for the unit plus $300 for the fan kit is the price he quoted). Can I save myself money by buying from another reputable source out of state and having the unit shipped to me? Or should I just stick with the local place?

Next, regarding options, I've read that the cast doors are better, would you agree? Or should I just get the single door? My wife really likes the double-door look but that can always be accomplished with the single door and a screen.

My biggest question is with ducting options. I saw that they have a ducting kit for ducting warm air to another room. From what I could tell the kit consists of a small fan mounted directly behind the register mounted in the remote room. This fan pulls air out of the fireplace through the duct into the room. I planned on tying the fireplace into my central heat/air system to circulate the heat throughout the house. This seems to be the best way to keep the house evenly heated. We will be placing the fireplace almost directly over the return air duct for my system. So, given that their ducting system pulls the air from the unit, would it be acceptable to connect a duct from the unit to the return air duct so that the air handler can pull the heat out of the stove and circulate it? I can't see any reason why this wouldn't be acceptable, but I wanted to check with others. Also, if this configuration is acceptable could I get the fireplace without the fan kit? I don't see why I would need the fan kit if I already have the air-handler drawing the air out of the fireplace.

My next question is regarding the outside combustion air hookup. I've seen several places that state this cannot be drawn from the attic. My problem is that is the only acceptable place to put it without making a bunch of bends over a long run. My other option is to put it close to the ground under the back porch, risking that it will be covered with snow and cause burn problems. I asked the guy at the fireplace store today and he said that it's not recommended but as long as the attic has adequate ventilation (which it does) he couldn't see why it would be a problem. I did read a reference on this site that said it is because building codes etc, but why is it that it can't be terminated in the attic? I can't see any reason that it would cause problems, I just want to know what I'm missing here.

Thanks for any and all help and comments! I look forward to hanging out here, and someday I'll write a review on my purchase!

YOU CAN NOT PUT THE HEAT DUCTS INTO THE COLD AIR RETURN !!!! NO DEBATE !!! NO NO NO !!!
The reason they do not want fresh air from a attic is that in a reverse draft situation the air intake can become a exhaust spilling smoke into the attic.
Sorry about the CAPS just wanted to make sure you understand.

Resiburner said:
YOU CAN NOT PUT THE HEAT DUCTS INTO THE COLD AIR RETURN !!!! NO DEBATE !!! NO NO NO !!!
Is there a reason for that? What would be the difference from what they're doing with their ducting kit?

Maybe it's worth it to mention that it is the return air duct right as it goes into the air handler, so it's essentially the same as their ducting kit (fan pulling warm air from unit and blowing it throughout the house).

I'm not trying to debate here, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

ETA, thanks for the response, I do appreciate any and all input.

Status
Not open for further replies.