Shady deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
I always love these Craigslist type posts ie; "Need trees removed, you may keep wood. Must be insured, trees leaning against power lines and towards neigbors house, probably need bucket, all rotted pine, " Yeah right!! This one's unique though. http://nh.craigslist.org/bar/418007317.html Wonder if the neighbor knows? :roll:

Yeah, it's kind of funny, you see the posts on craigslist, they think they have a gold mine. At first they think they have something valuable, then, they lower the price, then they say it's free, then they say "they will clean up". Then a month or two later (after they pay some one) they have an add for "free wood already cut up" cause whoever cut the trees down wanted to charge them extra for removal and at this point they just want it out of there.

Still craigslist can be a good source for free wood if you look on a regular basis. This is the wrong time of the year to be looking though, as so is everyone else. KD

nshif said:
Wow what a deal! I wouldnt touch that if he was paying me a grand.

A grand nothing. The tree guys around here get eight hundred a tree for that stuff.

Saw an ad in the local buy n sell for 50 cords of oak decked about 8 miles from here fo 5K. So i decided to at least check it out. Barley accessable even with 4WD. A few weeks later it was 60 - 70 cords for 4000. a week later the add was gone but the wood is still there. Its a newly created subdivision and they want it gone. Ill wait a bit longer. Besides what would I do with 50 cords?

Yep...Gotta love those type of people...Jingling a pocket full of change always trying to "negotiate a better deal".

Really want to ruin their day? (I've done this) When they come up and ask the question "How much you gonna give me for the wood you're gonna haul away???" To which you reply "Ohh...I thought I was doing you a favor (BS it's already figured into the price) by hauling it away...you can keep it then"....

Then watch the "backpeddling"...they leave you alone real quick. ;)

I replied to a post on Craig's List a few months ago. It was the typical if you drop 'em, you can take the wood "for free". It was close so I figured why not take a look. Turned out to be ok, my neighbor was looking for some cedar to put in his wood box for the summer and one of the trees was a nice cedar about 40' tall. Talked to the homeowner and agreed to take down the cedar and a couple of maples. He would handle the brush.

We cut down the trees and piled the brush where he had indicated. Judging by the look on his face when he saw the size of the brush pile he had no idea what he had agreed to clean up. (There's a lot of brush on a 40' + cedar).

Sure enough, the next week in Craig's List is a post from the same guy to the effect of: I have a nice pile of brush from having some trees removed. It would make great mulch, "free" come and get it.

He also had a much larger maple and a cherry that were standing close to a garden, which we agreed to take down after the garden was done for the season. I would almost bet that the brush pile is still there (or at least most of it) if we go back this fall.

Tell the guy once the garden is cultivated, he now has a spot to burn all the brush. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.