Shagbark Hickory drying time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
Hi there,

I had a Shagbark Hickory taken down in July and it was CSS within 10 days. It was drying most of July stacked. We had good wood drying weather here this summer in MA and it's been top covered. What do you think the chances are it will be ready for next year? I haven't taken the moisture meter to it yet as I know it's not ready.

Just thinking about my wood supply for next year. If it is dry I should be good. Mike

I'd guess 20 - 25% on the moisture meter next winter.

Thanks claydogg- that wouldn't be bad I could supplement the wood with Envi blocks. I have a $10 moisture meter- I don't even think it has a brand name on it but seems to work ok. I wish I had one to compare it to otherwise I'm thinking about buying a General for about $30.

stack it single row in the sun. it will be ready, that's two full summers. I say it will be under 20%

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
unless your splits are outrageously big

My bitternut hickory took two full years stacked in an open meadow in the sun, covered.

You will like the hickory after 1-1/2 years. You will be terrified to load your stove with more than 50% hickory after you've let it dry for 2 years. Give it the extra time and you will like it a lot more. Don't trust a normal moisture meter reading when testing hickory - the resistance (what the moisture meter really reads) of hickory is too different from most other woods and a cheap/regular moisture meter will read lower than it should when testing hickory, if you can even get the prongs in deep enough to get a good reading.

I like the last guys comments, about density and the MM. He's right, you cant get the prongs in Hickory very well. I can see the average meters giving false readings. Take it with a grain of salt.
I have burned Shagbark with a 1 year drying time. One year, meaning cut in Sept and used for winter of the next year. Maybe not till January. It burned without sizzling or hissing or giving any indication not burning as expected. I do have some of that same hickory left and I could test it with a General meter. It was split small. 4" x 4" and 3" x 5".
The Shagbark I had will have seasoned 2 full years in September. I will look for a larger split and resplit and test it.
But if it burned well enough in 1 yr I'm guessing you will be fine with your wood, unless you split monster huge splits.

Reactions: mwhitnee
I like the last guys comments, about density and the MM. He's right, you cant get the prongs in Hickory very well. I can see the average meters giving false readings. Take it with a grain of salt.
I have burned Shagbark with a 1 year drying time. One year, meaning cut in Sept and used for winter of the next year. Maybe not till January. It burned without sizzling or hissing or giving any indication not burning as expected. I do have some of that same hickory left and I could test it with a General meter. It was split small. 4" x 4" and 3" x 5".
The Shagbark I had will have seasoned 2 full years in September. I will look for a larger split and resplit and test it.
But if it burned well enough in 1 yr I'm guessing you will be fine with your wood, unless you split monster huge splits.

Nope most around the size you said. Shagbark Hickory drying time

Reactions: davidmsem
My hickory always end up as sawdust from the bugs if I wait too long. I cut a storm damaged shagbark in March that was split and stacked few days following and top covered along fence line on my property and we are burning it now in the furnace with no issue. Not certain of moisture content as we do not own an EPA stove.

Reactions: davidmsem
I have had what I believe is mockernut hickory, stacked for exactly one year....most pieces read in high 20's currently. My guess is that you will be in very be quite close to 20% come winter if 16-17' and will make out alright

Reactions: mwhitnee
Got a lot of various types of Hickory for this season- css 4 years ago- Volcanic in the NC30. That said A bunch of years back had some Shag Bark Hickory that was css for 2 years- must have been bad drying weather/location cause it never did that well. Splits were/are in th 4-8" cross section size.

I have all splits no rounds. Largest splits are 4x6". Difficult to split even with a hydro, many pieces were tossed into the uglies pile due to it being so stringy and shredding.

My hickory always end up as sawdust from the bugs if I wait too long.
Have probably a 1/2 cord of what I think is pignut hickory that's had two summers and may not be used for two more. Did you have bug problems from not splitting or even after splitting? I see activity but seems mostly just under the bark like a lot of stuff. I could move it up in the rotation if it's likely to get chewed to bits.

Nope most around the size you said.
Those are some pretty big splits in my book. I have a cat so I split medium and cut the air low; Now worries about loads of smaller splits taking off in the stove. I would give those splits 2 full yrs, but I'm not real experienced drying Hickory.

Last edited:
Perfect wind and sun combo, maybe 2 full seasons. I like hickory 3 years but that's my preference. I It has to be top covered if it's not in good sun. Great stuff though.

You guys are making me curious, I split small or so Ive been accused. I have Pignut and Shagbark, the shagbark is 2yr and Pignut will be 1 yr roughly in Dec.
I will resplit and test whats in the stacks and post pics.
I split hickory small, same with Apple and Plum, otherwise it wont dry. Or maybe Im too pushy to wait?

Hickory like oak usually requires 2 years though thinner splits will dry faster.

We have a former member who stacks a lot like mwhitnee and gets good results using a 3 year rotation. His stacks are in the open on dry ground. If I stacked like that, I know from experience, my results would are terrible because my location tends to be damp with poor airflow. Not arguing though, more airflow is better.

Have probably a 1/2 cord of what I think is pignut hickory that's had two summers and may not be used for two more. Did you have bug problems from not splitting or even after splitting? I see activity but seems mostly just under the bark like a lot of stuff. I could move it up in the rotation if it's likely to get chewed to bits.

Sorry took so long to post back..the splits in my stack have been whats chewed. I tend not to leave wood in rounds much as i usually cut a load then split and stack same day.

Sorry took so long to post back..the splits in my stack have been whats chewed. I tend not to leave wood in rounds much as i usually cut a load then split and stack same day.
Here, with Hickory, I may see some dust from powder post beetles but not too much....still plenty of wood left. I left some Hickory in rounds for a couple years and it was a little spotty with some decay starting to set in. Not too bad though. The cheap moisture meter should be good enough; Readings between species vary only 3% or so at the most, so the meter will still give you a pretty good indication.

Status
Not open for further replies.