Share Flu with propane furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is galvanized outside and that is what the manual calls for? What model is it?
Sterling ceiling mounted 74KBTU sealed combustion

Many thanks for the great responses. Love this forum[/quot
Better late than never, your gas furnace can vent through sidewall using a power vent. Your liner is probably not approved for woodstove venting. Just because its ss doesnt mean its made to handle wood temps and it needs insulated to keep creosote at a minimum. Im not sure what region you are in but maybe add a heat pump to gas furnace to achieve hybrid heat. We install them all the time, it generally cuts lp bills by 2/3. We usually set the balance temp at 20-25 degrees. I am located about 150 miles west of DC.

You can run more than one in a chimney, they did it all the time in the old days prob had a stove on every floor. But nowdays to be up to code you can't. It would prob be cheaper to run the LP furnace through something else IMO. It's like this you could prob do it (run with just one chimney) but if doing so causes the house to burn down your prob not covered. Although I don't see how doing so would cause more or greater chimney fires. The real danger is a plugged chimney by wood furnace then the LP kicks in cause say your out of wood CO2 rises and kills someone.

3. Would I still get some passive benefit from a wood burner in my basement (given a power outage situation)?

Addtionally to what Roadrunner stated if you remove the blowers and rehook up the return air duct you will get a slight increase in benefit. All in all not much but it will help the air flow., again small fires and keep an eye on the fire box temps.

Addtionally to what Roadrunner stated if you remove the blowers and rehook up the return air duct you will get a slight increase in benefit. All in all not much but it will help the air flow., again small fires and keep an eye on the fire box temps.
I think mine said pull thermocouple (thing that looks like a finger, going next to firebox) out if power fails and your burning a fire. I think it also said you could unbolt and open one side of the furnace jacket. And yes of course you get heat from a furnace with no power enough to say keep the pipes from freezing. Would prob have to sleep in the basement after the first night though.

You can run more than one in a chimney, they did it all the time in the old days prob had a stove on every floor. But nowdays to be up to code you can't. It would prob be cheaper to run the LP furnace through something else IMO. It's like this you could prob do it (run with just one chimney) but if doing so causes the house to burn down your prob not covered. Although I don't see how doing so would cause more or greater chimney fires. The real danger is a plugged chimney by wood furnace then the LP kicks in cause say your out of wood CO2 rises and kills someone.
It causes problems because you get allot of dilution air from the furnace which causes creosote and then if it does catch you have a good supply of air you cannot shut down coming through the furnace. Not to mention the draft issues with both running and allot of other potential problems. The codes are there for a good reason follow them

To the OP - 2 story farm house, what type of square footages are we talking about, is there a open floor plan for atleast the popular rooms ie: living room, den, kitchen, dinning room? (you may or may not have these rooms) I'm have a raised ranch total square feet about 2,200 give or take. I use to have the stove in my main living area (living room) but I moved it to my semi unfinished basement this past fall because I was literally baking us out of the living room, dinning room. kitchen; kind of thinking about it even the bedrooms were to warm. Anyway the stove is in the basement, I leave the door open to the top stairs and cut a return hole in the one closet above the stairs. I use a blower (came with the stove, and usually on medium setting) I am able through nature air movement keep the popular rooms upstairs in the low 70's in the coldest of weather, my house is insulated but not tight by any means. I give you an example of my place because when it comes to free standing units the possibilities are endless, I also installed my own 6" all fuel stainless triple wall chimney, all in all its about 22ft from stove collar to chimney cap and it really wasn't that much $$ considering the savings from not heating with oil or electric.

Status
Not open for further replies.