Sharing Wood Stove Air Intake with Gas Furnace Air Intake??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R.Smith

Hearth Supporter
Sep 26, 2007
Hi guys... I'm not too keen on making another hole in the side of the house so I'm trying to find out if I can get air for a wood burning stove by connecting to the air intake line for the gas furnace just after it comes into the house... or do I have to make another hole several feet from the existing air intake hole? I hope someone has some thoughts they will be willing to share.

Sincerely,
R. Smith

Elk will be the one with the definitve answer to this but my guess is no. One reason is the line for the furnace is probably only sized for the needs of the furnace. Another is the furnace could pull air through the wood stove for combustion ( or visa versa ) which isnt good.

Does your stove require outside air? Or is it going in a basement? Maybe you don't need the outside air at all is what I'm getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.