Sharpen Fiskar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
When, how often and how do you guys sharpen your Fiskars? The edge on mine is pretty nicked up now.

Haven't nicked mine, but since it is such a thin edge, will probably use my carbide knife sharpener, the kind that you draw across the blade that has two pre-set, angled carbide inserts. I use it when I have to take off a decent amount of metal from any impliment that I want a good edge on. They used to sell them at Home Depot in the gardening section near the axes, etc. If I didn't have that tool, probably a file.

I bought the sharpener, but haven't used it yet. Mine's getting kinda nicked up too.

Bubbavh said:
Got Wood said:
When, how often and how do you guys sharpen your Fiskars? The edge on mine is pretty nicked up now.

Fiskars sells a sharpener for their axes. I have one and it works great for a quick touch up! I usually make 2-3 passes after I'm done splitting and give it a spray of WD40 and a quick wipe down(keeps it clean and lubed).

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/s...ategoryId=10277&productId=10535&page=products

I agree, I have one too and it works great. $10, how can you go wrong?

I have a nasty nic in mine when I got over zealous on the first day of use... I will get the fiskars sharpener and give it a go.

I'm not too sure about the Fiskars sharpener. It's a lot shorter than my other sharpeners. I was using it one time and I almost cut my shins. :cheese:

schortie said:
I'm not too sure about the Fiskars sharpener. It's a lot shorter than my other sharpeners. I was using it one time and I almost cut my shins. :cheese:

Fantastic post!

I too take out the nicks with a file-type sharpener the give it an edge on th Fiskars.

I use my raker file to sharpen

Got Wood said:

I've never sharpened mine.

I wouldn't want to sharpen my Fiskars then underswing and cut one of my shins off.

schortie said:

ROFLMAO :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.