sheet metal options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardingn88

Nov 12, 2014
Ok so I am preparing my wall protection for my wood stove that's got to go in tomorrow because chimney guys will be here. I cannot seem to find a solid sheet of steel that is not Galvanized. So trying to find other options... I have found rolled aluminum flashing that is .19" thick. I know the requirements are .24" so can I double up on the .19 and make it .38" if i make sure they are flat against each other? Is it even OK to use the rolled flashing since there will be seams? Maybe overlap the seams? I'm so lost because I plan to do masonry around it but can't afford a mason at the moment so I need something that can give me the same clearance reduction with or without brick.

How about something like one of these? http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...Id=10051&storeId=10151&searchTerm=stove+board

upload_2014-11-17_21-12-12.png

When the wall shield is installed properly with at least 1" air space between it and the wall and 1" air space at the bottom, it won't matter if you want to put brick there or not. (Actually, even with the brick you will still need to keep the air space at the bottom.) Important is that air can freely float behind the wall shield. The stove will warm up the shield, that heats up the air behind it which will rise and suck in cool air from below. You get a chimney effect which will cool the combustible wall you want to protect. You could also use Durock for your heat-shield.

See also here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

If you don't want to use galvanized steel, use copper! Here is the copper heat shield I have installed. Get 2 1/2 inch copper nails to get your one inch air space.

MtMitchellSnowGFI018.jpg

If you don't want to use galvanized steel, use copper! Here is the copper heat shield I have installed. Get 2 1/2 inch copper nails to get your one inch air space.

MtMitchellSnowGFI018.jpg
That looks nice. Wasted the piece of copper roofing I had on my chimney cap but if you got enough around good idea. Not sure you want to buy it new though,$$$$.

That's the issue I have looked for even the copper sheets with no luck. The only thing I have locally is galvanized roofing or rolled flashing which I would have to piece together since it's only 20" wide

That's the issue I have looked for even the copper sheets with no luck. The only thing I have locally is galvanized roofing or rolled flashing which I would have to piece together since it's only 20" wide

Does your stove and local code actually allow to reduce clearance with a wall heat shield?

My city follows the international code council. They have not specified a different code for this. But as far as the stove I am unsure because I cannot seem to find a manual and I bought it used.

Status
Not open for further replies.