Shelter Wood Furnace Smoke Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cathyrice01

Jan 2, 2024
Maryland
We have a new Shelter wood burning furnace only been in use a about a year and a half now. The issue we are been having is what I call burping. The stove puffs smoke out from the door, intake at the bottom and from the pipe. Not all at once and it is not consistent. We have trouble shot this issue many times. Extended the chimney, change the pipe and made sure the angles/length are all to code, dry wood and clean the chimney and pipes every frequently. We have even taken apart the pipe and checked the draft up the chimney and have a good draft up? We are at a loss and don't know what more to do. Can you give us any help?

Mico explosions
the fire briefly uses all available oxygen,then when more gets to the fire you get a burp
I find my boiler does it after stoking the fire box.

These furnaces are known to have that problem. There's a video in one of the threads of it blowing the baro off of the furnace pipe. I'd probably cut my loses, and buy a Kuuma or a Drolet

Last edited:
Reactions: Gearhead660
These furnaces are known to have that problem. There's a video in one of the threads of it blowing the baro off of the furnace pipe. I'd probably cut my loses, and buy a Kuuma or a Drolet

We are def scared it will blow up as I have seen the big puffs of smoke it lets out. Hate to spend any more money but we will look up Kuuma and Drolet. If you or anyone else can find the video please share I could not located it.

We are def scared it will blow up as I have seen the big puffs of smoke it lets out. Hate to spend any more money but we will look up Kuuma and Drolet. If you or anyone else can find the video please share I could not located it.
Here's the saga from a few years ago. It looks like the videos are no longer. I forgot about the bio damper. ;lol

Are you feeding it dry wood, and how do you know its dry?

yes. the wood has sat for over a year and we also have a tester to see how much moisture is in the wood. we have tried so much just a our ends with this thing.
There are only so many types of wood that will dry adequately in a year...how are you testing the wood?
You should be splitting a roughly room temp piece, then testing in the middle of the freshly exposed face(s), preferably with test probes parallel with the grain. Testing the wood externally, or on the end grain is worthless.

There are only so many types of wood that will dry adequately in a year...how are you testing the wood?
You should be splitting a roughly room temp piece, then testing in the middle of the freshly exposed face(s), preferably with test probes parallel with the grain. Testing the wood externally, or on the end grain is worthless.
This was the first thing we did when we were trouble shooting the stove issues. We bought a tester and yes tested the middle of numerous pieces of our wood. This was not the issue the wood was nice and dry so we then raised the chimney as that was the next recommendation and that did not solve the issue. It has been a stuggle thats for sure!

This was the first thing we did when we were trouble shooting the stove issues. We bought a tester and yes tested the middle of numerous pieces of our wood. This was not the issue the wood was nice and dry so we then raised the chimney as that was the next recommendation and that did not solve the issue. It has been a stuggle thats for sure!
Well that stinks...its too bad but I really feel like there is no fixing these things, and I see a bunch of 6-12 month old ones for sale too...that tells me that most people have the same issues as you are.
I only know 1 guy that has one of these and is happy with it...I have quizzed him about what he is doing differently than everybody else, didn't seem to be anything, that I could find.

Reactions: sloeffle
Well that stinks...its too bad but I really feel like there is no fixing these things, and I see a bunch of 6-12 month old ones for sale too...that tells me that most people have the same issues as you are.
I only know 1 guy that has one of these and is happy with it...I have quizzed him about what he is doing differently than everybody else, didn't seem to be anything, that I could find

It does stink that's for sure!! I appreciate you and the others on this thread trying to help us. If anyone is thinking of getting a shelter wood furnace, please think twice as I don't want to see anyone else go thru the issues we have had!!

Not sure where you are at with this now, but just FYI, in case you are looking to replace it, the Drolet Heat Commander is a good machine, but twice the cost of the Shelter, and then there is the Kuuma Vaporfire VF100 furnace, which is the best forced air wood furnace out there, but also twice the cost of the Drolet...if there is any way that you could make that happen (the VF) it would also be the last wood furnace that you need to buy, they make heating with wood almost too easy.
Call them, they are great to work with (small family owned company in northern Minnesota) http://www.lamppakuuma.com/

It does stink that's for sure!! I appreciate you and the others on this thread trying to help us. If anyone is thinking of getting a shelter wood furnace, please think twice as I don't want to see anyone else go thru the issues we have had!!

Unfortunately you should have researched it BEFORE buying it, not after. Just a little bit of looking into these things would have saved you from wasting your money.

I have one, it did the same a few times. I knew the issues I could be facing when I bought it. But the price I got it for, couldn’t turn it down. I got rid of the draft inducer. Replaced it with a damper. I have a stupid high draft. I’ve made a few modifications to it. All in all it still sucks. But 2 loads a day and my house stays between 76 and 78.