Shim material and R value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickBlaine

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2014
Chicago
Installing a stove into a masonry fireplace:

1) The front stove legs will rest 1/4 inch "higher" than the rear legs. Is this a problem? Best shim to use if it is a problem?

2) What exactly is the R value of firebrick? I require an R value of 2.0 Does the shim have to meet this R value?

Thank you!

If you are installing on a full masonry hearth I wouldn't worry about it. The floor of the hearth will never get as hot as having an all day fire in there. Definitely try to install the stove level. The shim should be non-combustible.

What stove is this? 13NC?

begreen: Man, you are good. Yes, it is a Englander 13NC. It is on a truck on it's way to Chicago as I type.

Thank you for the fast response, by the way. I never did find out if the legs are adjustable or not- just wanted to be prepared.

Is there a leg option? I thought this stove was only pedestal. Maybe you could use 1/4" plate for shims?

Yes, the Englander 13 from Home Depot (and the Summers Heat 13 from Lowe's) all ship with a pedestal AND legs, as well as a free blower. In talking to the Englander peeps, I was informed that it technically ships with the pedestal attached to aid in damage-free shipping, but legs are included. When they shipped with just legs, sometimes in transit the legs would be damaged. At least, that is what I was told on the phone.

I confirmed this (Legs and free blower) on the Englander website, as well as on the HD and Lowe's websites. On the Englander website are instructions to remove pedestal and install legs.

Last edited:
Just visited the Englander site for a refresher course and saw the 13NC with legs.

Come with legs and the ped these days. The bolt in the bottom of the legs allow some adjustment. About on inch or two.

I knew something begreen didn't?!?! Think I'll go buy a lottery ticket right now if the sky isn't falling....:)

BrotherBart: Thank you for the info on the leg adjustment capability....I will dig around my basement for shim material just in case....

The adjusting bolts will handle a 1/4" easy. Make sure that puppy is level all around or it will talk to ya warming up and cooling down.

The adjusting bolts will handle a 1/4" easy. Make sure that puppy is level all around or it will talk to ya warming up and cooling down.

BB, so are you saying that all the tinging & pinging and whatnot might be because the stove is not completely level? I better have a look at the stove....

Steel stoves will always have heating and cooling noises. Not level they can make some scary bonging sounds.

I am very unsophisticated.....I used washers under two of my legs. Dug around in my "junk bin" and found different thickness washers. Found two that when placed under the offending legs did the trick. Put a little of the high temp silicone to make sure they didn't move.

In case the adjusters don't work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.